This easy vegan cornbread has just the perfect amount of fluffiness and flavour! It makes an excellent savoury side dish or a party food for special occasions that vegans and non-vegans alike will love. Gluten-free, oil-free, made in just one bowl.
Bread, bread, bread. It comes in all shapes and sizes, sweet and savoury. And there’s rarely a day when I’m not craving bread. More specifically, cornbread at the moment. It’s the perfect bread variation for rainy weather, when cosy food is all I want. Plus, I love the flavour of corn and savoury baking. So, this is pretty much a win-win situation.
I’m beyond excited to share with easy vegan cornbread recipe with all of you because it really is that incredible! Save this one for later and you won’t have any regrets.
Easy vegan cornbread
I have high expectations when it comes to cornbread. It has to be fluffy, but with just the right amount of moisture, and very well-flavoured. And trust me – this one fulfils all of those criteria.
I know that there are sweet and savoury versions of this recipe, and this is a savoury cornbread. The cornmeal and almond flour combine perfectly to create an indulgent texture and a deep, rich and earthy flavour. Speaking of the texture, it’s my favourite thing about this recipe. It practically melts in your mouth!
Even if baking isn’t your thing, you definitely don’t have to be an expert to succeed at this vegan cornbread. All it requires is one bowl and about 30 minutes of your time. The hardest part is waiting for it to come out of the oven when the whole kitchen smells amazing!
What makes this cornbread amazing
It is …
- Super indulgent and moreish. Hard for me not to eat the entire loaf myself!
- Perfectly fluffy, with the right amount of softness.
- Moist (for lack of a better word lol).
- Oil-free (yet this does not compromise the flavour or texture at the slightest).
- Easy to make, even as a complete beginner.
- Perfect for impressing vegans and non-vegans alike.
- Ideal for the holiday season.
- Ready in just 30 minutes, so great as a last minute addition to the Christmas table!
How to serve cornbread
Honestly, my personal preference is eating it with a cup of tea, slathered in dairy-free butter. Or even by itself straight out of the baking dish.
Classically, cornbread is served alongside chili. It’s one of my favourite combinations for sure! But I have it as a side for a variety of main dishes to make them even better.
For instance, it’s perfect for serving alongside soups and stews. Here is a variety of options you might want to consider:
- Vegan chili with butter beans
- Chunky vegan potato soup
- Vegan borscht
- Vegan leek and potato soup
- Butter bean sweet potato stew
How to make vegan cornbread
It couldn’t be easier!
First, prepare your flax egg. Stir together the ground flax with 5 tbsp water and set aside for around 5 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 F.
Prepare the dry ingredients. Add the cornmeal, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a large mixing bow. Whisk together.
Next, add the wet ingredients. Pour in the plant based milk, apple cider vinegar and flax egg to the dry ingredients and stir together until a dough forms.
Bake. Transfer the dough into a baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the centre and the top is golden.
Serve or store. Cornbread tastes best when fresh out of the oven, after 5-10 minutes of cooling. However, you can store it in the fridge or on the countertop, covered, for up to 4 days. It also freezes really well.
Tips and add-ins
- I did not add any sweetener to the original recipe, but you can add 1/4 cup coconut sugar or maple syrup for extra sweetness.
- You can also add around 1 cup fresh berries, such as blueberries or raspberries, to the batter.
- Alternatively, add 1 cup fresh sweetcorn for a little bit of extra crunch.
- For an extra indulgent bread, add 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese.
Let me know in the comments: what’s a food that always makes you excited about the holiday season? If you give this easy vegan cornbread recipe a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below!
Easy Vegan Cornbread (Gluten-free & Oil-free)
- Conventional oven
- Mixing bowl
- Baking dish
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup plant based milk
- Prepare the flax egg. Stir together the ground flax with 5 tbsp water and set aside for around 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 F.
- Prep the dry ingredients. Add the cornmeal, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a large mixing bow. Whisk together.
- Add the wet ingredients. Pour in the plant based milk, apple cider vinegar and flax egg to the dry ingredients and stir together until a dough forms.
- Bake. Transfer the dough into a baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the centre and the top is golden.
- Serve or store. Cornbread tastes best when fresh out of the oven, after 5-10 minutes of cooling. However, you can store it in the fridge or on the countertop, covered, for up to 4 days.