This easy vegan cornbread has just the perfect amount of fluffiness and flavour! It makes an excellent savoury side dish or a party food for special occasions that vegans and non-vegans alike will love. Made in just one bowl and ready in 30 minutes.
Bread, bread, bread. It comes in all shapes and sizes, sweet and savoury. And there’s rarely a day when I’m not craving bread. More specifically, cornbread at the moment. It’s the perfect bread variation for rainy weather, when cosy food is all I want. Plus, I love the flavour of corn and savoury baking. So, this is pretty much a win-win situation.
I’m beyond excited to share with easy vegan cornbread recipe with all of you because it really is that incredible! Save this one for later and you won’t have any regrets.
Easy vegan cornbread
I have high expectations when it comes to cornbread. It has to be fluffy, but with just the right amount of moisture, and very well-flavoured. And trust me – this one fulfils all of those criteria.
I know that there are sweet and savoury versions of this recipe, and this is a savoury cornbread. The polenta and all-purpose flour combine perfectly to create an indulgent texture and a deep, rich and earthy flavour. Speaking of the texture, it’s my favourite thing about this recipe. It practically melts in your mouth!
Even if baking isn’t your thing, you definitely don’t have to be an expert to succeed at this vegan cornbread. All it requires is one bowl and about 30 minutes of your time. The hardest part is waiting for it to come out of the oven when the whole kitchen smells amazing!
What makes this cornbread amazing
It is …
- Super indulgent and moreish. Hard for me not to eat the entire loaf myself!
- Perfectly fluffy, with the right amount of softness.
- A great savory side dish for your favorite comfort food recipes.
- Easy to make, even as a complete beginner.
- Perfect for impressing vegans and non-vegans alike.
- Ideal for special occasions and dinners that the whole family will love.
- Ready in just 30 minutes.
How to make vegan cornbread
Firstly, preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 F. In a large mixing bow, mix together the plant based milk, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar. In a different bowl, mix the flour, polenta, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Now add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix together thoroughly.
Next, simply transfer the batter to the baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden and a toothpick comes out clean from the centre. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
How to serve cornbread
Honestly, my personal preference is eating it with a cup of tea, slathered in dairy-free butter. Or even by itself straight out of the baking dish.
Classically, cornbread is served alongside chili, so it would go perfectly with my vegan chili recipe. It’s one of my favourite combinations for sure! But I have it as a side for a variety of main dishes to make them even better.
For instance, it’s perfect for serving alongside soups and stews. Here is a variety of options you might want to consider:
Tips and add-ins
- I did not add any sweetener to the original recipe, but you can add 1/4 cup coconut sugar or maple syrup for extra sweetness. Otherwise, the flavor is savory.
- You can also add around 1 cup fresh berries, such as blueberries or raspberries, to the batter.
- Alternatively, add 1 cup fresh sweetcorn for a little bit of extra crunch.
- For an extra indulgent bread, add 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese. It melts perfectly and works really well in this recipe!
Let me know in the comments: what’s your favorite way to serve cornbread? If you give this easy vegan cornbread recipe a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below!
Get the Recipe: Easy Vegan Cornbread Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup plant based milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups polenta
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Conventional oven
- Baking dish
- Mixing bowl x 2
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 F and lightly grease a rectangular baking dish.
- In a large mixing bow, mix together the plant based milk, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar.
- In a different bowl, mix the flour, polenta, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix together thoroughly.
- Transfer the batter to the baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden and a toothpick comes out clean from the centre.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- If you want a sweeter cornbread, add 1/4 cup either coconut sugar or maple syrup.
- This vegan cornbread lasts in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days.
- You can freeze this cornbread for up to 2 months in individual slices. Allow to thaw fully in the fridge overnight before reheating in the microwave or the oven.