This butter bean sweet potato stew is so comforting and full of flavour! Made with broccoli, kale and zucchini, it’s a lunch or dinner that will leave you feeling energised. Plus, you only need 15 minutes and handful of simple ingredients!
It’s no secret that my favourite meals are the ones that are easy, but nonetheless taste unbelievably delicious. To be honest, that’s often how it goes with recipes. I can stand in the kitchen for an hour, trying to invent something spectacular, just to have my efforts result in mediocrity at best. At other times I’ll throw something together in under 30 minutes and end up with a new favourite meal.
My love for healthy, easy comfort food inspired this sweet potato stew. As a student, I don’t really have the luxury of time. Sure, cooking is what I use as a creative outlet during study breaks, but I still have to be mindful and minimise how long I spend in the kitchen – without, of course, having to eat stuff that’s boring and/or doesn’t make me feel my best.
White bean sweet potato stew
I think this healthy and easy one pot meal kinda speaks for itself. Potatoes, first of all, are one of the most versatile ingredients out there. You can boil them, roast them, use them in stews and soups, make potato curry, make jacket potatoes, and so much more. I also love eating them for breakfast.
What’s great about sweet potatoes is that they’re really flavourful in themselves. You, therefore, don’t have to use a lot of other ingredients to make them taste good – a few spices usually does the job. This sweet potato stew is no exception.
I love this recipe because it’s:
- Very comforting. If it’s starting to get cold where you are, a big bowl of sweet potato stew will warm you up.
- Full of flavour, thanks to the sweet potato and the spices.
- Silky smooth with a bit of added texture from the beans.
- A great way to eat more vegetables in autumn and winter.
- Made with just 12 staple ingredients, not including salt and pepper.
- Ready in under 20 minutes.
- Great for meal prep.
- Perfect for making in large batches and sharing with others!
How to make sweet potato stew
Before making the stew, be sure to have some peeled and cooked sweet potatoes on hand. You can either roast sweet potato in the oven, or microwave if you want to save time. When that’s ready, mash it with a fork or a potato masher.
Then, add the garlic and onion to a saucepan together with the garlic granules and a few tbsps of water. Stir until the onion is translucent. Then, add the zucchini and broccoli, stirring those for a few minutes until softened but not fully cooked through.
Then, pour in the almond milk together with the beans and maple syrup. Stir well, then add water/veggie stock. Be sure not to add too much because this sweet potato stew should be on the thicker side. It’s better to start with a small amount and then add more throughout the cooking process as needed.
Allow this to simmer on a low heat for around 5-7 minutes. Then, thoroughly stir in the mashed sweet potato, turmeric and kale. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Before serving, squeeze in a generous amount of lime juice. After that, all that’s left is garnishing with sesame seeds and you’re good to go!
Tips and modifications
- If you want to make this sweet potato stew creamier, add some canned coconut milk at the end of the cooking process.
- This recipe is versatile because you can add any other vegetables of your choice, such as bell peppers and tomatoes.
- For a spicier sweet potato stew, add smoked paprika, cayenne pepper or fresh chillies.
- White or purple sweet potatoes work just as well as the orange variety!
Other recipes you might like…
- Try chocolate buckwheat porridge if you want a cosy, fall-inspired breakfast!
- Or how about a pumpkin vegetable stir-fry?
- Enjoy a slice of chickpea cinnamon apple cake for dessert.
Let me know in the comments: what’s your favourite way to cook sweet potatoes? If you give this recipe a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) or comment a photo on Pinterest so I can see your creations!
Butter Bean Vegan Sweet Potato Stew
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 medium onion chopped finely
- 1 cup broccoli chopped
- 1 medium zucchini chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 3 cups cooked butter beans 2 cans canned
- 1 cup almond milk or any other plant milk of choice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 27 oz sweet potato peeled and chopped, around 2 medium
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 large handful fresh kale de-stemmed and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of 1 lime
- sesame seeds, to garnish
- Add the garlic, onion and garlic powder to a non-stick saucepan with 1-2 tbsp water. Sauteé for 2-3 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Then, add the broccoli and zucchini, stirring for around 2 minutes more, until soft but not fully cooked through.
- Lower the heat and add the butter beans, almond milk, maple syrup and veggie stock. Simmer on a low-medium heat for 5-7 minutes, until thickened. Add more veggie stock if necessary.
- Mash the sweet potato using a fork or potato masher and stir into the saucepan together with turmeric and kale. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Once the kale had wilted, squeeze in some lime juice and serve garnished with sesame seeds. Store in the fridge and reheat for up to 3 days.