This vegan potato leek soup is not only quick and easy, but also perfectly flavoured, creamy and cosy. It’s an ideal weeknight dinner that’s ready in just 25 minutes that’s also great as a starter or side dish. Gluten-free and oil-free.
In my humble opinion, the whole year is soup season. Honestly, the seasons and the weather don’t personally affect my eating habits that much. I could easily eat soup throughout the whole year, not just during autumn and winter (but preferably with AC nearby lol). So today I’m sharing one of my personal favourites: a delicious, creamy and hearty potato leek soup
Vegan potato leek soup
I’ve had soups in the past that didn’t really live up to my expectations. They can lack the flavour you expect, or be overly simplistic to the point of being boring. This leek and potato soup, however, is completely different. It’s the sort of dinner that will make you want to come back for seconds every time. And I definitely wouldn’t refrain from doing so, because soup is always a great idea.
Leek and potato soup is obviously a comfort food classic, that typically uses milk or cream. But this recipe is, as always, completely dairy-free. It is still able to achieve plenty of creaminess and does not even require coconut milk, which I know not everyone likes. If you’re a fan of creamy and flavourful soups, I would definitely recommend you give this one a go!
As well and potatoes and leeks, I also added mushrooms and plenty of spices. Overall, all of the ingredients are likely ones that you have in your cupboards already. The finished product is a soup that’s rich in umami flavours, with a really thick consistency and still a little bit of texture. And because it’s ready in just under 25 minutes, it’s the sort of meal that you can prepare on any day when you’re craving comfort food but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen.
What’s to love about this vegan leek and potato soup?
- Super flavourful.
- Creamy and thick.
- Easy and beginner-friendly.
- Made with simple ingredients.
- Perfect for a comforting weeknight dinner.
How to make vegan leek and potato soup
Be sure to wash the leeks thoroughly before you start cooking. Rinse the leeks and then remove the roots as well as the darkest green part (which can be saved to make veggie stock). Then slice the leeks lengthwise and crosswise, before placing them in a bowl of cold water and rinsing to remove any dirt. Proceed to transfer into a sieve and rinse once again under a running stream of water.
Add the onion and the garlic to a non-stick saucepan and cook for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant.
Next, add the mushrooms and sauté for 2-3 more minutes, until they begin to soften.
Add chopped leeks, potatoes, nutritional yeast, dried basil, cumin, onion granules, plant based milk, veggie broth, and apple cider vinegar. Simmer over a medium heat for around 15 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Season to taste with salt. You can either remove the soup from the heat and blend using an immersion blender, or blend in batches using a blender or food processor. You can blend it as much or as little as you’d like, depending on your preferred consistency.
Serving suggestions for vegan potato leek soup
- I love adding a dollop of vegan sour cream on top for a refreshing note!
- Cashew cream works really well too.
- Add some fresh veggies or herbs on top.
- Crusty bread or cornbread makes a perfect side.
Other vegan soup recipes
- Noodle soup with roasted chickpeas
- Easy black bean and vegetable rice soup
- Chickpea and vegetable rice noodle soup
- Broccoli cheese soup
- Wild rice soup with jackfruit
Let me know in the comments – what’s your favourite time of year? If you give this vegan potato leek soup recipe a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below!
Vegan Leek And Potato Soup
- Immersion blender or blender/food processor
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups chestnut mushrooms diced
- 1 large leek chopped and washed (see recipe notes)
- 4 cups potatoes chopped
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 1 cup plant based milk
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Add the onion and the garlic to a non-stick saucepan and cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Next, add the mushrooms and sauté for 2-3 more minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add chopped leeks, potatoes, nutritional yeast, dried basil, cumin, onion granules, plant based milk, veggie broth, and apple cider vinegar. Simmer over a medium heat for around 15 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender. You can add more plant based milk if it starts to dry out too much.
- Season to taste with salt. You can either remove the soup from the heat and blend using an immersion blender, or blend in batches using a blender or food processor. You can blend it as much or as little as you'd like, depending on your preferred consistency.