Cacao Fluffy Vegan Pancakes With Caramelised Banana
Cacao fluffy vegan pancakes with caramelised banana! These pancakes are super soft, chocolatey and delicious as a weekend breakfast or brunch. They’re also gluten-free, oil-free and super easy to make.
There’s something incredible about starting the morning with pancakes. I rarely have the time to make them because I’m always rushing out the door at 6 am, but whenever I have the opportunity I love setting myself up for the day with a chocolatey stack drizzled in maple syrup.
I’ve wanted to share the recipe for these fluffy vegan pancakes with you all for a while because it’s one of my favourites. On the one hand, I’m always switching up my pancakes, adding different toppings, etc. But with this version, you just can’t go wrong.
Fluffy Vegan Pancakes With Caramelised Banana
The recipe is incredibly simple both in terms of ingredients and preparation, but the result is ideal for a weekend breakfast or brunch. Or, to be honest, having pancakes as breakfast for dinner is never a bad idea either!
These vegan pancakes are incredibly chocolatey, soft and fluffy, with just the right amount of sweetness. They’re also gluten-free, oil-free and refined sugar free. I love eating these as fuel after a tough workout!
The toppings you go for are, of course, entirely up to you. Here, we’re making caramelised banana which just like the pancakes themselves is so easy to make with just two ingredients, but delicious every time. Add tahini or peanut butter, fruit and some extra maple syrup, and you won’t be disappointed.
How to make vegan chocolate pancakes
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate mixing bowl, stir together the plantbased milk and the apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and continue whisking until everything is thoroughly combined. You could also do this in a blender or food processor.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of the batter to a non-stick frying pan on a low-medium heat per pancake. If you don’t have a non stick frying pan, you may have to use oil or cooking spray. Cook each pancake for around 3 minutes on each side, flipping when bubbles start to form on the surface.
- Meanwhile, add the banana to a separate frying pan with the maple syrup, cooking for 2-3 minutes on each side on a low-medium heat, until caramelised.
- Serve the fluffy vegan pancakes immediately with other toppings such as tahini, more maple syrup and vegan yoghurt.
Notes and modifications
- You can swap the coconut sugar for 1-2 tbsp maple syrup.
- These also work well with buckwheat flour or a gluten-free flour blend.
- 1-2 tbsp of apple sauce can be used instead of the flax egg.
Other recipes you might like…
- How about starting your day with coconut chia pudding?
- Zucchini fritters make a great savoury breakfast.
- Switch up your usual oatmeal with chocolate buckwheat porridge.
Let me know in the comments: what’s your favourite weekend breakfast? If you give these fluffy vegan pancakes a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below.
Get the Recipe: Cacao Fluffy Vegan Pancakes With Caramelised Banana
For the pancakes
- 1 cup oat flour , ensure gluten-free if necessary
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup almond milk, or any other plantbased milk of choice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 flax egg (see recipe notes)
For the caramelised banana
- 1 large banana
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
To make the pancakes
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oat flour, coconut sugar, cacao powder, baking powder and baking soda. In a separate mixing bowl, stir together the plantbased milk and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the wet ingredients and the flax egg to the dry ingredients, whisking together until thoroughly mixed.
- Spoon around 2-3 tbsp of the batter to a non-stick frying pan. Cook each pancake on a low-medium heat for around 2-3 minutes, until bubbles start to form on the surface. Flip and cook for a further 2-3 minutes on the other side.
To make the caramelised banana
- Drizzle the maple syrup on a separate non-stick frying pan, then add the sliced banana. Cook for around 2-3 minutes, then flip and cook for a further 2-3 minutes on the other side, until caramelised. Serve immediately with the pancakes.