Savoury oat and tofu vegan egg muffins! These treats are a great vegan alternative to egg muffins, using tofu, chickpea flour and oats. Enjoy them as a make-ahead breakfast on the go, or a quick and healthy snack. Gluten-free and oil-free.
I’ve been switching up my breakfast a lot recently. It’s easy to get stuck in a rut and eat the same thing over and over again. After all, I wake up super hungry and need to eat ASAP which doesn’t leave a lot of room for imagination. Or I need some very quick fuel after a workout. The solution to that is prepping my breakfasts ahead of time. That’s often at the start of the week, or the night before – regardless, getting my prep game on point allows creativity to do its thing.
And that’s where these tofu ‘egg’ breakfast muffins come in. I suggest any breakfast lovers try these out, and make a double batch – I often eat the whole thing in one sitting because they’re just that irresistible!
Vegan egg muffins – a perfect breakfast or snack option!
I created this recipe after remembering how much I loved muffins for breakfast back in the day. Egg muffins, to be more specific. In fact, eggs were the hardest thing for me to give up when I went vegan because they’re much harder to replicate than, for example, milk and cheese.
Of course, this is a healthier recipe and they don’t taste exactly like what I remember of ‘real’ egg muffins. But the tofu still adds an eggy texture (kinda like scrambled tofu in muffin form), and there’s a bit of cheesiness coming from nutritional yeast – I think we can all agree that nutritional yeast is a magical ingredient.
Another key ingredient here is chickpea flour. I use this all the time to make chickpea omelettes, and it has a similar function in these vegan egg muffins. Just a small amount brings everything together and makes the final breakfast muffins more realistic. I usually get mine from local health food stores, but you can buy it online too.
I also added some kale and red onion into the batter. They both crisped up nicely in the oven and gave a bit of extra colour and crunch to the final vegan egg muffins. If you’re not a fan of eating fresh kale by itself, these may be the best option for you as a yummy way to get in your greens.
Vegan breakfast doesn’t get much better than tofu ‘egg’ muffins
Find yourself running out of breakfast ideas, or need something quick and simple to fuel your morning? Make a batch of these vegan egg muffins muffins! You won’t regret it. They’re:
- Fuss-free and super easy to make. All you need is a large mixing bowl and a muffin tray!
- Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Made entirely from healthy, plant based ingredients.
- High in protein, thanks to the tofu and the chickpea flour.
- Also perfect as a quick snack.
- Great as a side or appetizer to bring to party tables.
- The yummiest way to enjoy vegan egg muffins.
What you’ll need
These are the main ingredients:
- Extra firm tofu
- Gluten-free oats
- Nutritional yeast
- Curry powder
- Chickpea flour
- Plant based milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Flax egg (ground flaxseed stirred together with water, left to soak for around 5 minutes)
- Red onion
How to make the perfect savoury vegan breakfast muffins
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/400 F.
STEP 2: In a large mixing bowl, combine the tofu, gluten-free oats, nutritional yeast, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chickpea flour, plant based milk, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and the flax egg. Stir together really well.
STEP 3: Add the kale and red onion. Season with salt, and stir together once more.
STEP 4: Divide the batter evenly on a muffin tray or between muffin cases. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until crispy on the outside.
Some extra notes and tips:
- Store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. They can be eaten cold or reheated in the microwave.
- Add other vegetables of your choice to make them your own: tomatoes and any leafy greens work really well.
- For utmost deliciousness, serve them with toast, a side salad and some ketchup on top.
- Add grated vegan cheese if you want them to be even more realistic.
Some more savoury vegan breakfast ideas:
- Breakfast burrito bowl
- Buckwheat crepes with mushrooms
- Savoury oatmeal with zucchini and black beans
- White bean skillet potatoes with garlic mushrooms
- Buckwheat pancakes with tahini veggie slaw
In the comments, let me know your favourite thing to have as a quick and convenient breakfast. And if you give these vegan egg muffins a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations!
Savoury Oat And Tofu Vegan Egg Muffins
- Conventional oven
- Mixing bowl
- Muffin tray
- 10 oz extra firm tofu
- 1.5 cups gluten free oats
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 3/4 cup plant based milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax seeds + 2 tbsp water, set aside for 5 minutes)
- 1 cup kale de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 large red onion chopped
- salt to taste*
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/400 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the tofu, gluten-free oats, nutritional yeast, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chickpea flour, plant based milk, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and the flax egg. Stir together really well.
- Add the kale and red onion. Season with salt, and stir together once more.
- Divide the batter evenly on a muffin tray or between muffin cases. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until crispy on the outside.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.