Vegan savoury oatmeal with zucchini and black beans: a comforting breakfast, and a great dinner option too that’s filling and satisfying! Gluten-free, oil-free and ready in 10 minutes.
In my childhood, savoury oatmeal was something I had far more often than its sweet counterpart. Everyone in my family loved it, and I could never pass by a comforting bowl of porridge on a cold, wintry day in Russia.
The UK never gets quite as cold (as much as I like to complain in the winter), but I still start most of my days with a bowl of porridge. Oftentimes I go for sweet. But more and more, I’ve started adding a savoury twist to really take the cosy factor to the next level.
Vegan savoury oatmeal with zucchini and black beans
If you’ve never heard of savoury oatmeal before, it might seem unusual and slightly out of your comfort zone. And I get it: most of us don’t think of porridge with black beans when conversing with our friends about our favourite breakfasts. But just trust me on this one. Not only is it super easy to prepare, but also delicious every time.
Oftentimes my flat mates here at uni give me weird looks when I put grated zucchini in my oatmeal. I guess they must have never heard of the ‘don’t knock until you try it’ principle! The zucchini creates a fluffy texture will give your breakfast a lot of volume, without leaving an aftertaste. Meanwhile, the spice combo of turmeric, cumin, and garlic powder will make the kitchen smell out of this world.
The obvious choice is to serve this recipe up as a comforting breakfast. But it works just as well as a dinner for when you only have ten minutes to spend in front of the stove! In fact, it’s quick and easy enough to qualify for a snack. Simply halve the ingredients if you don’t want as big of a portion.
Tips and tricks for the best porridge bowl
- Adjust the oatmeal to water ratio to get your desired consistency. I like mine to be on the thicker side, but this isn’t for everyone. For runnier oatmeal, add more water or don’t cook for as long.
- I added black beans for some extra texture and protein, but if you’re not a fan, either leave them out or experiment with different beans and pulses (such as chickpeas or butter beans).
- Switch up the spices/spice amounts. For example, add smoked paprika for a little bit of spice, or dried herbs for extra earthiness.
- If you want your oats cheery, stir in 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast, or some grated vegan cheese.
- To maximise the creaminess, stir in a couple spoonfuls of unsweetened plant based yoghurt of your choice.
- If you want more of a umami flavour, leave out the salt and replace it with 1-2 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten-free/coconut aminos for a soy-free version).
Topping ideas for vegan savoury oatmeal
- Different varieties of mushrooms, cooked with a splash of tamari.
- Fresh herbs.
- Vegan yoghurt.
- Tempeh or tofu.
- Grated vegan cheese.
- Peppers and onions.
- Nuts and seeds.
- Nut butter or tahini.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Garlic, minced.
- Gluten-free rolled oats.
- Grated zucchini. Peeled and grated carrot works really well too.
- Black beans. Or, replace with any other bean variety of your choice.
- Sweetcorn. If you don’t like sweetcorn, leave it out or replace with peas.
- Garlic powder.
- Salt. Or replace with tamari for more of a umami flavour.
STEP 1: Add the garlic to a non-stick frying pan and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
STEP 2: Add the oats, water and zucchini. Simmer for 5 minutes over a medium heat, stirring frequently.
STEP 3: Stir in the black beans, sweetcorn, turmeric, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Stir for 2 minutes, then add the spinach and serve for a minute more until it wilts.
STEP 4: Add your toppings and enjoy!
Reasons to love these oats
- Comforting and cosy.
- Full of flavour.
- Filling and satisfying.
- Great as breakfast for dinner!
- Ready in 10 minutes.
Other vegan breakfast recipes
- Easy vegan carrot muffins
- Chocolate coconut oatmeal
- Chickpea flour pancakes
- Chocolate banana bread
- Sweet potato pancakes
Let me know in the comments: what’s your favourite savoury breakfast? If you give this vegan savoury oatmeal with zucchini and black beans a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below!
Vegan Savoury Oatmeal With Zucchini And Black Beans
- Non-stick saucepan
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 2.5 cups water
- 1/2 medium zucchini grated
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 1/4 cup sweetcorn
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 avocado
- cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tbsp soy yoghurt
- 1 tbsp tahini
- fresh chives
- Add the garlic to a non-stick frying pan and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the oats, water and zucchini. Simmer for 5 minutes over a medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the black beans, sweetcorn, turmeric, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Stir for 2 minutes, then add the spinach and serve for a minute more until it wilts.
- Add avocado, cherry tomatoes, soy yoghurt, tahini and chives.