Vegan buckwheat crepes with mushrooms! Flavourful and comforting, these are a great savoury breakfast or weekend brunch, as well as a yummy breakfast for dinner option. Gluten-free, oil-free and easy.
I know that everyone is saying the same thing at the moment, but I really can’t believe that 2019 is nearly here! It genuinely feels like we were welcoming 2018 around a week ago lol.
But putting aside the quick passage of time, I really am excited for the new year. 2018 was an ambivalent experience to say the least, with some of the best moments of my life, and some lower moments. The biggest turning point for me was definitely starting uni, which changed my life and me as a person for the better in so many ways. After taking a long break and not really knowing what to do with my website, I discovered the full extent of my passion for food blogging and photography, of which I’ve enjoyed every moment. But I also had many learning experiences and made mistakes in numerous aspects of my life that in the end helped me mature and improve as a person, as cliche as that sounds.
As for the new year, I find that this always brings many opportunities. Sure, I’m definitely not someone that waits around for the new year to set goals and make changes. I like to challenge myself on a weekly basis. But, the new year has important symbolic value. It really is a good opportunity to look back on the previous 12 months, see what went well and where you can improve, whether that’s in your education, career or personal life. So, it would be really cool if you could let me know in the comments whether you’ve set any intentions for 2019, if you participate in setting New Year’s resolutions!
About these vegan buckwheat crepes
Anyway, let’s talk about the food. These vegan buckwheat crepes with a mushroom filling are a perfect savoury breakfast. Personally, I love starting my morning with something savoury, in particular throughout the colder seasons. It’s incredibly cosy and sets me up for a positive day overall.
Crepes are another one of my favourite breakfasts. I think I may actually prefer them to pancakes, because they’re a bit more versatile, even if trickier to perfect. The major ingredient here is buckwheat flour, which works really well with a savoury filling. In fact, I have previously used it to make savoury pancakes, which inspired this crepe version.
To go with the vegan buckwheat crepes, I made a mushroom and kale filling. While it’s definitely yummy enough to eat by itself, it’s even better with a crepe breakfast.
I love these savoury crepes because they’re
- Perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch
- Made with healthy and whole ingredients
- Ready in under 30 minutes
- Also great as breakfast for dinner
As a little something extra, I like serving mine with a drizzle of tahini and vegan yoghurt. The crepes by themselves also work well as an appetizer or a side dish.
How to make vegan buckwheat crepes
Firstly, add the buckwheat flour, ground flaxseed, coconut sugar, salt and almond milk to a large mixing bowl. Whisk the ingredients together really well.
Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-low heat. Add enough batter to the frying pan to cover the entire surface (around 1/4 cup per crepe). Cook for around 2 minutes, until it is easy to lift up the crepe. Flip, then cook for a further thirty seconds on the other side.
Meanwhile, prepare the mushroom filling. Add the onion to a non-stick saucepan and cook for 2-3 minutes, until translucent. Then, add the mushrooms and cook for a further 7-8 minutes, until they shrink down. Add in the almond milk, cumin, onion granules, corn starch, salt and kale. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the kale wilts and the sauce thickens.
Serve the mushrooms immediately with the vegan buckwheat crepes.
Other healthy vegan breakfast recipes
- Apple pie coconut chia pudding
- Strawberry and banana protein smoothie bowl
- Cacao pancakes with caramelised banana
- Simple chocolate buckwheat porridge
Let me know in the comments – what’s your favourite weekend breakfast? If you give these vegan buckwheat crepes a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations!
Vegan Buckwheat Crepes With Mushrooms
For the crepes
- 1 3/5 cups buckwheat flour
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups almond milk
For the mushroom filling
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 25 oz mushrooms chopped
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion granules
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 handful kale chopped
- Add the buckwheat flour, ground flaxseed, coconut sugar, salt and almond milk to a large mixing bowl. Whisk the ingredients together really well.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-low heat. Add enough batter to the frying pan to cover the entire surface (around 1/4 cup per crepe). Cook for around 2 minutes, until it is easy to lift up the crepe. Flip, then cook for a further thirty seconds on the other side.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mushroom filling. Add the onion to a non-stick saucepan and cook for 2-3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 7-8 minutes, until they shrink down.
- Add in the almond milk, cumin, onion granules, corn starch, salt and kale. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the kale wilts and the sauce thickens.
- Serve immediately with the buckwheat crepes.