Vegan Sweet Potato Soup (Gluten-free)
This quick and easy vegan sweet potato soup is the perfect dish to warm you up this winter. Rich, creamy and deliciously sweet and spicy, this soup is ready to be served as a filling lunch or dinner. It’s minimal effort for maximum flavor!
In January, all I want is filling, nourishing meals that are going to warm me up. However, for many people taking part in Veganuary this year, finding and making plant-based comfort food may seem daunting.
It’s important to remember that often our favorite hearty dishes or ingredients are already vegan – like pasta, potatoes, bread or stews. Similarly, this sweet potato soup is naturally vegan because blended sweet potatoes are thick and creamy, therefore it doesn’t require any dairy.
About this vegan sweet potato soup
Nothing says comfort food like a steaming hot bowl of soup. This recipe is perfectly warming, which is exactly what you need to stay cosy this winter. Plus, it’s super easy to make in under 40 minutes and uses simple, budget-friendly ingredients.
Sweet potatoes have one of the most delicious flavors – equally sweet as they are savory – and their earthiness elevates the richness of this soup. When roasted they become almost caramelised and tender. Then, when blended, they become insanely creamy, which ensures that each mouthful is hearty and filling.
In fact, this vegan sweet potato soup is even filling enough to be served as a dinner, with some crusty bread. Although, of course, you could also enjoy it as a flavorful and perfectly spiced lunch.
Ingredients and substitutions
If you want to make this vegan sweet potato soup then you will need…
- Sweet potato. The essential ingredient for this
- Olive oil. A lot of my recipes are oil free but I find oil is essential here to ensure the sweet potatoes and carrot roast perfectly.
- Spices: smoked paprika, cumin, turmeric, basil, dried rosemary. Layering spices is so important because it gives the soup such a delicious, intense taste.
- Nutritional yeast. Also known as ‘nooch’, this is a staple ingredient in vegan cooking. It gives things a ‘cheesy’ or nutty taste.
- Coconut milk. For a creamier soup, use full fat coconut milk, or for a thinner soup use light or reduced fat coconut milk.
- Fresh ginger.
- Balsamic glaze. You can also use balsamic vinegar.
- Tamari. Tamari is a gluten-free alternative to soy sauce and available in most large supermarkets. If you can’t find it and can eat gluten, then feel free to use soy sauce instead.
- Vegetable broth. You can also use vegetable stock.
How to make this vegan sweet potato soup
Firstly, preheat the oven to 200 degrees C (350 F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Add the sweet potato, carrot and 1 tbsp of the olive oil to a large mixing bowl and stir together well. Next, transfer to the baking tray and bake for 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the rest of the olive oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic, cooking for 5 minutes, until the onion is lightly browned.
Transfer the sweet potato and carrot to a blender together with the smoked paprika, cumin, turmeric, dried basil, dried rosemary, nutritional yeast, coconut milk, ginger, salt, balsamic glaze, tamari, vegetable broth, and the fried onion and garlic. Blend until smooth and serve.
Tips and tricks
- The recipe is incredibly versatile as you can adapt it depending on how thick or thin you want the soup to be. Therefore, for a thinner sweet potato soup add extra vegetable broth or use light coconut milk, for an even thicker soup replace coconut milk for coconut cream.
- If you want to meal prep, then you can roast more sweet potato than you need, and use it across a range of other recipes.
- If you’re not a sweet potato fan, then they can be substituted for 250g butternut squash.
Storing and freezing
This creamy, easy vegan sweet potato soup is perfect for refrigerating for up to 5 days in an airtight container. Alternatively, it can be frozen for up to 3 months – just make sure it’s thoroughly defrosted and heated before serving.
Other delicious vegan soups
Let me know: what’s your favourite vegan soup? If you make this vegan sweet potato soup then make sure you tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can share your creations! Be sure to let me know what you think of this recipe in the comments along with a star rating.
Get the Recipe: Sweet Potato Soup (Vegan)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- ½ tbsp dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup coconut milk, canned
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp balsamic glaze, or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Conventional oven
- Baking tray
- Large mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- Frying pan
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C (350 F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add the sweet potato, carrot and 1 tbsp of the olive oil to a large mixing bowl and stir together well. Next, transfer to the baking tray and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the olive oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic, cooking for 5 minutes, until the onion is lightly browned.
- Transfer the sweet potato and carrot to a blender together with the smoked paprika, cumin, turmeric, dried basil, dried rosemary, nutritional yeast, coconut milk, ginger, salt, balsamic glaze, tamari, vegetable broth, and the fried onion and garlic. Blend until smooth and serve.