Vegan Eggplant Butternut Squash Curry
This vegan eggplant butternut squash curry is comfort food perfection! Rich, creamy, and intensely savoury, it’s exactly what you look for in a curry dish that’s also ready in 30 minutes. Gluten-free and oil-free.
I know a lot of people say that the colder moths = curry season. But for me, the whole year is curry season. In my humble opinion, nothing beats a steaming bowl of curry in the evening, served over a bed of fluffy rice. Always something to look forward to!
And yes, it’s entirely possible to make a dish as yummy as this vegan eggplant butternut squash curry out of vegetables. Trust me, you’ll have this one on repeat!
Vegan eggplant butternut squash curry
I love love love butternut squash. In the winter, it’s one of my most-used ingredients. The flavour is tender and subtly sweet, but not too overwhelming, making it a super versatile root vegetable. I mean, you can even make mac and cheese with it! Talk about magic.
And if this vegan butternut squash curry is pretty dang close to magic. To me, a perfect curry is one that has a really deep, intense and savoury flavour, with plenty of saltiness and spice, but not so much that it gets overwhelming. And this recipe has that balance of flavours down to a tee.
The vegetables work together really well to create plenty of texture and variety in every bite. The spices, together with the curry paste, give the curry a lot of depth and hints of umami too. Some curry recipes use just coconut milk, but this one uses chopped tomatoes too in order to bring in a little bit of tanginess.
Serve this over a bed of your favourite rice and dinner is sorted!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Onion. Use either red or white onion, or shallots.
- Grated ginger.
- Garlic, either chopped finely or minced.
- Eggplant/aubergine. This is a key ingredient, creating a really thick and chewy texture.
- Mushrooms. Use any variety of your choice.
- Tomato paste.
- Smoked paprika.
- Butternut squash. I’ve also tried this recipe with sweet potato and it works just as well!
- Coconut milk. Use either regular or reduced fat depending on your preferences.
- Chopped tomatoes.
- Vegetable stock. For an even creamier curry, use an unsweetened plant based milk of your choice.
- Vegan curry paste. Curry powder works too.
- Black pepper.
- Spinach. Kale works as well.
How to make a vegan butternut squash curry
It’s super easy!
STEP 1: Add the onion, ginger and garlic to a large non-stick frying pan or saucepan. Sauté over a medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant.
STEP 2: Add the eggplant, mushrooms, tomato paste and smoked paprika. Stir to coat the vegetables, then continue to cook and stir frequently for a further 4-5 minutes, until the vegetables had softened.
STEP 3: Add the butternut squash and pour in the coconut milk, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Stir through the curry paste, lower the heat to medium and simmer for around 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the butternut squash is cooked through.
STEP 4: At the last minute, add the turmeric, salt, black pepper and spinach. Stir until the spinach wilts, and you’re ready to serve.
You will love this vegan eggplant butternut squash curry!
- Flavourful and indulgent.
- Rich and very creamy.
- Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
- Ready in 30 minutes.
- Super easy and great for beginners in the kitchen.
- A super delicious one-pot meal.
A few tips and tricks
- Don’t skimp on the spices, as they really help bring this dish together!
- You can store this vegan curry in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- This is also a freezer-friendly recipe.
Other vegan curry recipes
Let me know in the comments: what’s your favourite dish to cook with butternut squash? If you give this vegan eggplant butternut squash a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below!
Get the Recipe: Vegan Eggplant Butternut Squash Curry
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 1/2 medium aubergine, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1.5 tbsp curry paste, ensure vegan
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups spinach
- Non-stick frying pan or sauce pan
- Add the onion, ginger and garlic to a large non-stick frying pan or saucepan. Sauté over a medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant
- Add the eggplant, mushrooms, tomato paste and smoked paprika. Stir to coat the vegetables, then continue to cook and stir frequently for a further 4-5 minutes, until the vegetables had softened
- Add the butternut squash and pour in the coconut milk, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Stir through the curry paste, lower the heat to medium and simmer for around 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the butternut squash is cooked through.
- At the last minute, add the turmeric, salt, black pepper and spinach. Stir until the spinach wilts, and you're ready to serve.