This easy vegan potato curry is perfect for a comforting weeknight dinner that’s ready in less than 30 minutes. Made with soft potatoes, flavourful tomatoes and a rich sauce, this is delicious served over a bed of rice. Gluten-free and oil-free.
I’ve just entered the second week of my holiday to Russia, and on the day that I’m writing this, the weather reached a staggering 6 degrees Celsius. The season this comes as a surprise is because it snowed just two days ago. Now everything is melting, a sign that spring has definitely arrived.
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY AND DELICIOUS VEGAN RECIPES? CLICK HERE TO BUY MY ‘EASY VEGAN UNDER 30 MINUTES’ EBOOK
I have a lot of traditional Russian-food inspired recipes I want to share, as a lot of you request them and I myself love creating vegan versions of childhood favourites. But today, I’m sharing a different comfort food classic that many of us are familiar with. Which is an easy vegan potato curry.
I love vegan potato curry as a flavourful weeknight dinner
Or just curry of any type. I love cooking quick simplified curry dishes that nonetheless don’t miss any flavour. If you’re like me, this will definitely be a dish you’ll want to make over and over again.
As you can see, I made different variations of this all the time!
It features soft, hearty potatoes cooked in a rich curry sauce made with coconut milk and fresh tomatoes. Just a few simple spices that you probably already have in your cupboard will give your kitchen an incredible aroma.
This vegan potato curry is also a great way to eat more vegetables. I always talk about my love for vegetables, and how it’s possible to add more of them to your diet even if you’re not a fan of salad.
You can cook a delicious curry, serve it over fluffy white rice, and thanks to the tomatoes and spinach, still get in a couple of servings of veg. Healthy eating is all about making small changes whenever you can, and optimising the nutritional value of your favourite dishes!
A few reasons I love this recipe
This vegan potato curry is…
- Packed full of flavour. Curry flavours are some of my favourites!
- Easy to make and perfect for beginners in the kitchen. No complicated methods or ingredients involved.
- Comforting and cosy. You’ll be craving this whenever it gets cold.
- Great for a weeknight dinner.
- Healthy, made with whole food plant based ingredients.
- Ready in less than 30 minutes. No need for takeout even with a busy lifestyle!
What vegetables can I add to this potato curry?
Something I love about curries is how versatile they are. They’re also a great way to use up any leftover vegetables you have in the fridge. Apart from the potatoes themselves (of course lol), I also used fresh tomatoes, spinach and green peas.
The tomatoes are pretty essential as they work as part of the sauce, however you can switch up the other ones or add even more,. I would recommend leafy greens such as kale, as well as other veggies that work well in curries, such as zucchini, mushrooms (I know they’re not technically a vegetable but still lol), eggplant and different pepper varieties.
How to make potato curry
Add the garlic and onion to a non-stick saucepan and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add a splash of water if it starts to stick to keep this recipe oil-free. Then, add the tomato paste and sauté for 1 minute more to coat.
Add the fresh tomatoes and press them down gently. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, until the tomatoes start to release their juices.
Add the potatoes, coconut milk, curry powder, turmeric and garam masala. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook on a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, for around 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
At the last minute, stir in the spinach and the green peas, cooking until the spinach has wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve over a bed of rice of your choice.
Other vegan weeknight dinner recipes
- Sweet and sour chickpeas and green beans
- Vegan chili with butter beans
- Red lentil cauliflower Dahl
- Creamy tofu pasta
- Vegan borscht
Let me know in the comments – what’s your favourite way to prepare curry? If you give this vegan potato curry recipe a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below!
Easy Vegan Potato Curry (Gluten-free)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 5 oz fresh tomatoes chopped (around 5 medium tomatoes)
- 14 oz potatoes chopped
- 1 can coconut milk 14 oz
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup green peas fresh or thawed from frozen
- salt and pepper to taste
- rice, to serve
- Add the garlic and onion to a non-stick saucepan and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add a splash of water if it starts to stick to keep this recipe oil-free. Then, add the tomato paste and sauté for 1 minute more to coat.
- Add the fresh tomatoes and press them down gently. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, until the tomatoes start to release their juices.
- Add the potatoes, coconut milk, curry powder, turmeric and garam masala. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook on a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, for around 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- At the last minute, stir in the spinach and the green peas, cooking until the spinach has wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve over a bed of rice of your choice.