Get the Recipe:
Easy Garlic Skillet Bread (Vegan)
This olive oil skillet bread is so easy to make from scratch for an amazing side dish! It's buttery, soft, and fluffy, despite being entirely vegan and dairy-free. Perfect for sharing and serving with any dinner of your choice.
Mix together warm plant based milk, olive oil, yeast, salt, sugar, garlic powder, dried thyme and dried oregano. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the yeast to activate.
1 cup plant based milk, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tbsp yeast, 1 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp dried thyme
Gradually add the flour and mix until a dough forms. Knead for a couple of minutes, then cover with a kitchen towel and set aside at room temperature for 50 minutes.
2 1/4 cups flour
Transfer the dough to a lightly-floured surface, and divide it into 8-9 equal segments. Roll each segment into a smooth bread roll shape.
Grease a cast iron skillet with vegan butter, place one of the bread rolls in the centre, then place the other ones around the edge. Cover with a kitchen towel, and set aside for an hour more at room temperature.
When almost done rising, preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 F. Brush the bread rolls with more olive oil, and bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes.
How to store and freeze skillet bread
- Weighing the ingredients will achieve the best results.
- Make sure that the plant based milk is at around 35 degrees C/95 F to allow the yeast to activate properly.
- This skillet bread also works with wholewheat flour, or a half and half blend.
- Instead of olive oil, you can use melted vegan butter.
- Store at room temperature, covered, for 2-3 days. Beyond that, you can keep the bread in the fridge for up to a week.
- To freeze, divide the bread into bread rolls and transfer to ziplock bags. Freeze for up to 3 months, allowing to thaw fully in the fridge overnight. You can also reheat in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Calories: 202kcal, Carbohydrates: 29g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5g, Sodium: 188mg, Potassium: 54mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 5IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 47mg, Iron: 2mg