Tahini Pasta (Vegan)
Vegan tahini pasta with a secret ingredient! Have dinner ready in less than 15 minutes with this incredibly easy recipe that’s rich, comforting and hearty.
Sometimes I like to get super creative in the kitchen and make something that’s a little bit more involved. But not today. Today, we’re going right back to the basics with a type of meal I eat all the time – a very simple, straightforward pasta dish!
This vegan tahini pasta is guaranteed to make a frequent appearance on your menu once you try it out. Especially if you’re a pasta lover like myself! It’s a comfort food dream that requires very minimal effort and impresses every time.
Vegan tahini pasta
So, what makes this dish so special? First and foremost, tahini is an amazing ingredient that adds a distinctive savory flavor. All of the other ingredients also work together super well to create a sauce that’s ‘cheesy’, with a hint of tanginess from the addition of lemon juice.
Secondly, there’s a secret ingredient involved – and no, that’s not cashews! To achieve a super thick, creamy and smooth consistency, we’re using silken tofu. Silken tofu is my favourite tofu variety to use in everything from sauces to even smoothie bowls because it blends really well and creates a silky texture. And the flavour is very neutral too. Which means no unpleasant tofu aftertaste!
Serve this one as a cosy dinner with mushroom bacon as a finishing touch. Everyone is guaranteed to love it!
Ingredients you’ll need
- Pasta of your choice. If you want to make this dish gluten-free, simply use gluten-free pasta.
- Silken tofu. I’ve tried this recipe with firm tofu too, which works really well but requires you to blend the sauce for longer and on a higher speed.
- Tahini. Make sure to get a good quality, runny variety – this makes a huge difference to the final outcome of the recipe.
- Plant based milk of your choice. Ensure to use an unsweetened variety.
- Cumin and salt to bring out the flavors of the sauce.
- Nutritional yeast for a hint of cheesiness. You can also stir in a handful of vegan cheese at the end of the cooking process for an even more cheesy flavor.
- Lemon juice. You just can’t go wrong with a hint of citrus in a pasta sauce.
- Onions and garlic. There are cooked in olive oil to make the pasta sauce more savory and deep in flavor.
How to make an exceptional tahini pasta
Firstly, cook your pasta according to packaging instructions until al dente. This usually takes around 10-12 minutes. Drain and rinse when done, but retain 1/2 cup pasta cooking water.
In the meantime, add the tofu, tahini, plant based milk, cumin, salt, nutritional yeast and lemon juice to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
Heat olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, until softened and fragrant.
Now pour in the sauce and stir thoroughly, before adding the pasta and pasta water.
Divide between plates/bowls and serve with garnishes of your choice!
Recipe tips and tricks!
- If you wish, you can add other vegetables of your choice. Beans and lentils also make an exceptional extra addition.
- Make sure to blend the sauce for long enough so that it gets extra creamy.
- Serve with any garnishes of your choice. I love to add fresh cilantro, black pepper and vegan cheese!
- Tahini pasta is best eaten immediately. You can, however, keep it in the fridge for up to around 3 days.
Other delicious pasta recipes
Love vegan pasta recipes? Then you’re guaranteed to enjoy my exceptional sweet potato pasta for dinner. My caramelised onion pasta is packed full of flavor, while garlic butter pasta is ready in just 15 minutes. If you love veggie-based pasta sauces, you’ll also love roasted red pepper pasta for a weeknight meal!
Let me know in the comments: what’s your go-to pasta sauce? If you give this vegan tahini garlic pasta a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below!
Get the Recipe: Vegan Tahini Garlic Pasta
- 7 oz pasta
- 10 oz silken tofu
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 1/2 cups plant based milk
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, (juice of 1 lemon)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Blender or food processor
- Non-stick frying pan
- Cook the pasta according to packaging instructions until al dente. This usually takes around 10-12 minutes. Drain and rinse when done, but retain 1/2 cup pasta cooking water.
- Add the tofu, tahini, plant based milk, cumin, salt, nutritional yeast and lemon juice to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, until softened and fragrant.
- Pour in the sauce and stir thoroughly, before adding the pasta and pasta water. Divide between plates/bowls and serve with garnishes of your choice!