Vegan stuffed tomatoes with creamed spinach! This healthy appetizer or dinner idea is served with rice and a garlicky, umami and completely dairy-free spinach filling that’s a great way to add more vegetables to your diet. Gluten-free and oil-free.
Greece is one of mine and my mum’s favourite holiday destinations. We used to travel there all the time when I was little and we lived in Russia, and it always bring back some of my favourite memories from my childhood. Nowadays, I still love it just as much. Even though it has a reputation as a not-so-vegan-friendly destination, I’ve been there twice since going vegan and found it relatively easy to find options suitable to my diet. Oftentimes, they involved awkwardly asking the waiter to make swaps. But just as often, my go-to lunch and dinner option was stuffed vegetables.
So, this vegan stuffed tomato recipe is totally inspired by all the amazing summers I’ve spent in Greece. However, there is a twist – I’m serving them with a 100% vegan and dairy-free creamed spinach.
Vegan stuffed tomatoes with creamed spinach
This is one of those combinations that I didn’t think would work, but it definitely did. I love stuffed tomatoes. I love creamed spinach. Although the latter is typically served as a side dish, I found out that it tastes even better when eaten with the former. That’s one of the things that never gets old about vegan cooking – there is a lot of room for creativity, and for discovering not only new ingredients, but composing new recipes from old favourites.
What you get is the juicy flavour of roasted tomatoes together with savoury white (or brown) rice and the creamy, garlicky spinach with a hint of nuttiness and umami. Have I convinced you to make these yet? They are seriously perfect for a comforting dinner that the whole family will love.
I know that vegetables aren’t everyone’s favourite food, especially leafy greens. One of the concerns people have about trying a vegan diet or even eating more plantbased meals is the perception that you’ll have to eat lots of vegetables. That’s true to an extent. But vegetables don’t immediately mean salad. You can eat them in a variety of different ways, and there are plenty of recipes that make vegetables taste amazing. These vegan stuffed tomatoes are one of them for sure, and includes at least two servings. I promise – the spinach here doesn’t taste like spinach at all!
What’s to love about these stuffed tomatoes?
- 100% undetectably vegan.
- Made with a flavourful, garlicky creamed spinach filling.
- Perfect for a cosy dinner.
- Easy and beginner-friendly.
- Made with just simple ingredients.
- Great as a main course or a starter.
- A perfect way to make vegetables taste amazing!
How to make vegan stuffed tomatoes with creamed spinach
Cook the rice according to instructions on packaging and preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 F.
Prepare the creamed spinach. Add the cashews to a blender or food processor together with the garlic, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, water and salt.
Add the spinach to a non-stick saucepan and cook for 1-2 minutes, until wilted. Then, pour in the cashew ‘cream’ and cook for around 1 minute more.
Once the rice is cooked, remove the tops from the tomatoes and scoop out the pulp (this can be used to make tomato juice or salads). Place them on a sheet of baking paper.
Fill around 1/2 of each tomato with the cooked rice. Then, layer on the creamed spinach. Bake in the oven for around 30-40 minutes.
Can you make stuffed tomatoes ahead of time?
You can for sure, although I would definitely say that they taste better straight away. But if you want to use them for meal prep, they can stay in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Other vegan dinner recipes
- Sweet and sour chickpeas and green beans
- Leek and potato soup
- Red lentil cauliflower Dahl
- Butternut squash with mac and cheese with tofu
- Noodle soup with roasted chickpeas
Let me know in the comments – what’s your favourite holiday destination? If you give these vegan stuffed tomatoes with creamed spinach a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below.
Vegan Stuffed Tomatoes With Creamed Spinach
- 1/2 cup white rice or any other rice of choice
- 8 large tomatoes
- 1 cup cashew nuts soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 7 oz spinach
- Cook the rice according to instructions on packaging and preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 F.
- Prepare the creamed spinach. Add the cashews to a blender or food processor together with the garlic, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, water and salt.
- Add the spinach to a non-stick saucepan and cook for 1-2 minutes, until wilted. Then, pour in the cashew 'cream' and cook for around 1 minute more.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove the tops from the tomatoes and scoop out the pulp (this can be used to make tomato juice or salads). Place them on a sheet of baking paper.
- Fill around 1/2 of each tomato with the cooked rice. Then, layer on the creamed spinach. Bake in the oven for around 30-40 minutes. Serve immediately, or leave in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.