This vegan potato salad is an easy-to-make side dish that’s perfect for BBQs and warm weather. Served with delicious smoky tempeh, it is a dish that everyone will love. Gluten-free and ready in under 30 minutes.
Wow, it surely has been a while since I’ve posted on this blog (well, at least it feels like it). I had the full intention of posting recipes without a break, but the last few weeks of uni got muuuch busier than I expected. So yeah, I had to take a bit of a break to stop myself from going crazy lol. But I can also now say that I have completed my very memorable first year at university, with way fewer essay crises than expected. And now I can have a hopefully relaxing summer, and get back to sharing some recipes with you guys!
(Edit: as I’m updating this blog post almost a year later, I’m coming to the end of the last week of my second year, which I completed from home. How time flies, and how times change!)
Vegan potato salad with tempeh bacon
Now, let’s talk about this vegan potato salad. It’s just one of those classic meals that reminds you of summertime, good weather, and afternoons spent enjoying the outdoors. It’s also very easy to veganise and tastes just like (or even better) than the original, which means no one gets to miss out!
This vegan potato salad certainly doesn’t miss any flavour. The creamy dairy-free mayo complements a range of crunchy vegetables which add both texture and variety. I added cucumber and red onion, but you can customise it however you’d like. To take this potato salad to the next level, I also added smoky tempeh, which has a ‘bacon’-like quality. The secret ingredient here is liquid smoke, which I’m obsessed with especially when it comes to BBQ recipes.
Stick the temph in the oven while you prepare the rest of the salad, and the result is crunchy on the outside, slightly spicy, and a perfect compliment for the mild potato salad. Finally, the addition of fresh dill right at the end really helps to bring the dish together.
This is just a classic recipe that will never get old. I totally feel like making it every day during the summer months!
Reasons to love this vegan potato salad
- An ideal dish for summer outdoor events
- Easy to make and beginner-friendly
- Non-vegan approved
- A great family-friendly meal
How to make this simple vegan BBQ dish
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/400 F.
Add the tempeh, liquid smoke, tamari, maple syrup, paprika and garlic granules to a small mixing bowl and stir together rally well.. Arrange on a sheet of greaseproof paper or a lightly-greased baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until crispy.
Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for 12-15 minutes, until fork tender.
Add the potatoes, red onion, cucumber, vegan mayonnaise, tahini, nutritional yeast, salt, pecans, and dill to a large mixing bowl and stir together really well. Stir immediately with the tempeh on top, or leave to chill in the fridge for 15+ minutes.
Other vegan summer recipes
- Spicy kidney bean baked potatoes
- Four-ingredient fudge
- Edamame hummus
- Mushroom and tofu stuffed peppers
- Roasted cauliflower with a mild peanut dip
Let me know in the comments: what’s a dish that always reminds you of summer? If you give this vegan potato salad recipe a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below.
Vegan Potato Salad With Smoky Tempeh
- Conventional oven
- Small mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
For the smoky tempeh
- 7 oz tempeh chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
For the salad
- 2 lbs new potatoes chopped
- 1/2 large red onion chopped
- 1/2 large cucumber chopped
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup dill chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/400 F.
- Add the tempeh, liquid smoke, tamari, maple syrup, paprika and garlic granules to a small mixing bowl and stir together rally well.. Arrange on a sheet of greaseproof paper or a lightly-greased baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until crispy.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for 12-15 minutes, until fork tender.
- Add the potatoes, red onion, cucumber, vegan mayonnaise, tahini, nutritional yeast, salt, pecans, and dill to a large mixing bowl and stir together really well. Stir immediately with the tempeh on top, or leave to chill in the fridge for 15+ minutes.