Noodle Soup With Roasted Chickpeas
This gluten-free vegan noodle soup is cozy and incredibly delicious. It’s packed full of flavour and crunch thanks to the easy roasted chickpeas. Made with simple ingredients and ready in under 20 minutes, it makes the perfect healthy weeknight dinner.
When does soup season start and end? Never, in my opinion. Just like I can eat smoothie bowls in the middle of winter, delicious soup still appeals to me on the hottest summer days. However, the optimal time to eat soup is definitely the colder months. There’s nothing like coming home in the evening and enjoying a huge bowl of warming deliciousness. So, I’ll be testing out and posting plenty of soup recipes over the upcoming months for sure!
This noodle soup with roasted chickpeas was originally one of those recipes I attempted and didn’t expect to go anywhere. The outcome impressed me to say the least, but of course I hadn’t written down any of the ingredients. That being said, I certainly didn’t complain about making this twice!
About this vegan noodle soup with roasted chickpeas
This vegan noodle soup is incredibly simple, but nonetheless very tasty and nourishing. It’s made with plenty of vegetables, such as celery, zucchini and Bok Choi, making it a perfect way to get in your greens.
Of course, noodles and vegetables always taste fantastic together, especially in soup form. But we’re also adding crispy baked chickpeas. This brings in a bit of extra crunch as well as plantbased protein! I eat crispy chickpeas like this quite a lot in a variety of recipes: salads, soups and stews, stir-fries and often by themselves as a snack! Of course, if you don’t want to turn on the oven, you can leave them out – but they do make a really delicious addition.
This soup makes a great weeknight dinner in particular. It’s delicious with a slice of your favourite bread, croutons or some avocado on top. If you plan on having friends round for a cosy night in, you can even prepare thing along with some pumpkin hummus and vegetable chips for a meal that everyone will love.
What’s so great about this vegan noodle soup?
- Comforting and cosy
- Perfect for a cold day
- Packed full of nourishing vegetables
- Gluten-free, as long as you use gluten-free noodles
- Ready in under 25 minutes
- Made with easily accessible ingredients
- Not missing any texture or flavour
How to make vegetable noodle soup
Start by tossing the chickpeas with maple syrup, paprika, turmeric and a pinch of salt. Spread them on a non-stick baking tray or parchment paper and roast in the oven at 200 degrees C/392 F for around 15-20 minutes. You can leave them in the oven for longer if you want them even crispier, but this sort of time works well if you want to make this as a quick dinner.
Meanwhile, cook red onion and garlic over a medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook those down for a minute or so. Then, lower the heat and add the zucchini, celery, veggie stock, tamari and noodles. Season to taste with black pepper. Lower the heat and simmer until the noodles are cooked through – this will very depending on the variety you use, so be sure to check instructions on packaging, but they usually take around 5-7 minutes.
Just when the soup is nearly done, stir in the chopped Bok Choy. Divide between serving bowls, garnish with some fresh herbs and enjoy.
The recipe below makes 1 large portion or 2 smaller ones because I made this as a weeknight dinner, but you can try doubling the recipe if you want to make more.
Other recipes you might like…
- Soba noodles always work super well in stir-fries!
- How about a black bean soup with rice and vegetables?
- Enjoy some sweet pumpkin hummus for dessert.
Let me know in the comments: what’s your favourite comfort food in the colder months? If you give this vegan noodle soup a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations!
Get the Recipe: Vegan Noodle Soup With Roasted Chickpeas (Gluten-free)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1-2 stalks celery
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 100 g buckwheat soba noodles
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 4-5 Bok Choi leaves, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime
For the crispy chickpeas
- 3/4 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C/392 F. Toss the chickpeas in the maple syrup, paprika, turmeric and salt. Roast for 15 minutes (*see recipe notes), until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, add the garlic and onion to a non-stick saucepan and cook until fragrant, for around 2-3 minutes, on a medium-high heat. Then, add the mushrooms and cook those down for around a minute more.
- Lower the heat and add the zucchini, celery, vegetable broth, tamari and noodles. Season to taste with black pepper. Simmer on a low-medium heat until the noodles are cooked through (this usually takes around 5-7 minutes).
- Around a minute before the noodles are done, stir in the chopped Bok Choi. Squeeze in the juice of 1/2 lime and divide between serving bowls, topping with fresh herbs of your choice and the crispy chickpeas.