Vegan Lentil Soup With Butter Beans
This vegan lentil soup is made with green lentils, potatoes and butter beans. Make it for a cosy, savoury and hearty lunch or dinner, serving with a thick slice of bread. Gluten-free and super easy!
Soup season is still in full swing, but I’m the sort of person that can eat soup throughout the whole year. I am always up for a bowl of plant based deliciousness, in particular if a lot of vegetables and a side of bread are involved!
And lentil soup just happens to be one of my all-time favourites! Lentils are an incredibly versatile staple part of a plant based diet, working particularly well in soups and stews due to their flavour and texture. If you’re like me and love all things lentils and soup (or both!) this is the perfect recipe for you!
Delicious vegan lentil soup
This lentil soup with potatoes is incredibly simple, but just the sort of meal you want to enjoy on a cold evening. Each bite is packed full of chunky vegetables and bursts with vibrant flavours that will leave you feeling happy. I also added butter beans for some extra plant protein, and because they go really well with the overall flavour profile of the soup.
I used green lentils in this recipe, because I wanted to keep the final soup chunky, but not mushy. Then, another key aspect of the soup is the vegetables – the more, the better! Both sweet potatoes and white potatoes work super well. Aside from those, I added onions, carrots, zucchini, and fresh tomatoes.
Lentil soup makes an incredible weeknight dinner that’s light, yet satisfying. Serve it with a side of crusty bread with vegan butter, or a sandwich. It also makes an amazing lunch option that you can make ahead of time and reheat in the microwave.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil for sautéing the vegetables.
- Carrots, zucchini and tomatoes for the vegetables. You can also add another vegetables you have laying around in the fridge.
- Tomato paste.
- Dried rosemary, smoked paprika, cumin and turmeric. These herbs and spices will make the soup hearty and warming.
- Tomato paste. This simple ingredient works super well with the vegetables to create subtle, tangy undertones.
- Tinned tomatoes. I always use 14 oz tins for my recipes.
- Veggie broth. You may need to adjust how much you use depending on your desired texture.
- Green lentils. Green lentils make a great ingredient due to their chewy, dense texture.
- Potatoes. Use any potato variety of your choice.
- Butter beans. Any other bean variety will also work well: for instance, black beans or chickpeas.
How to make lentil soup with butter beans
Firstly, heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onion, cooking for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
Now add the carrots, zucchini, tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook for 5 minutes, until softened, then add the dried rosemary, smoked paprika, cumin and turmeric. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes more.
Now add the tinned tomatoes, veggie broth, green lentils and potatoes. Simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently, over a medium heat, until the lentils are softened and the potatoes are fork-tender.
Add the butter beans and cook for a few minutes more, before serving.
Storing and freezing vegan soup
This soup is great for batch-cooking and meal prep! You can leave it in the fridge for 4-5 days in an airtight container.
The soup is also freezer-friendly. You can store it in freezer-friendly portion bags, leaving in the freezer for up to 2 months. Reheat from frozen on the stove, until fully warmed through.
Other delicious vegan soup recipes
- Sweet potato soup.
- Minestrone soup.
- Spicy butternut squash soup.
- Broccoli cheese soup.
- Wild rice soup with jackfruit.
- Vegan noodle soup with roasted chickpeas.
Let me know in the comments: what’s your favourite way to use lentils? If you give this lentil soup with butter beans a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below.
Get the Recipe: Vegan Lentil Soup With Butter Beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes , (14 oz)
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup green lentils, dry
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tin butter beans, (8 oz), drained and rinsed
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onion, cooking for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Add the carrots, zucchini, tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook for 5 minutes, until softened, then add the dried rosemary, smoked paprika, cumin and turmeric. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, veggie broth, green lentils and potatoes. Simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently, over a medium heat, until the lentils are softened and the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Stir in the butter beans and cook for a few minutes more, before serving.