This vegan fettuccine Alfredo recipe is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner! Ready in just 20 minutes and packed full of flavour, it is a great dairy-free alternative that everyone is guaranteed to enjoy. Oil-free and gluten-free.
My relationship with food and diet have evolved a lot over the years for sure. After overcoming anorexia and my fear of calories, weight gain, etc, I started my vegan lifestyle nearly 4 years ago. And even since then, how I eat has been far from static. I went from junk food vegan to a very strict ‘high carb low fat’, whole foods only approach, to finding a happy balance which is where I am now.
Right now, I eat whatever I want as long as its vegan, whether that’s a homemade meal or going out for pizza and chips. I also don’t restrict or fear any food groups, which is great because I’m not sabotaging my health and happiness for the sake of at best disputable health claims.
Back in the day, I probably would have made vegan fettuccine Alfredo with some sort of low-carb noodle variety and low fat sauce. Then, I would have fooled myself into thinking it was yummy and flavourful. The recipe I’m sharing with you today, however, lives up exactly to those expectations, so if you’re looking for an easy dinner idea, this may be it!
Vegan fettuccine Alfredo
I can’t believe it’s taken me this long into my vegan journey to try fettuccine Alfredo. This recipe has appeared a lot throughout the internet, so I knew I had to give it a go and create my own version. Needless to say, it definitely didn’t disappoint.
Traditional fettuccine Alfredo calls for ingredients such as milk, butter and cheese, but it’s still quite easy to veganise. The most important ingredient is cashews, which are great for making various sauces in general.
They have a neutral flavour by themselves, but nutritional yeast and tamari work well together to create a cheesy, savoury flavour. I also added mushrooms for extra texture and earthy undertones, plus tomatoes and olives to give the dish a lot of colour and variety.
If you like creamy pasta dishes that are ready in around 20 minutes, I would definitely recommend you give this one a go. It’s great as a weeknight dinner, or as a crowd-pleasing dish to serve at parties and gatherings.
What’s to love about this vegan fettuccine Alfredo recipe?
- Super creamy.
- Rich, flavourful and indulgent.
- Undetectably vegan.
- Gluten-free, as long as you use gluten-free pasta.
- Oil-free and butter-free.
- Ready in just 20 minutes.
- Made with healthy, whole food ingredients.
- Perfect for a weeknight dinner.
I would recommend serving this dish straight away, with the tomatoes, olives and either fresh or dried herbs of your choice.
How to make vegan fettuccine Alfredo
First, start cooking your pasta according to instructions on packaging. Ensure not to overcook it – it’s best to leave it slightly al dente. Meanwhile, prepare the Alfredo sauce by adding soaked and rinsed cashews, unsweetened almond milk, tamari and nutritional yeast to a blender or food processor and blending until smooth.
Next, add sliced cherry tomatoes to a non-stick frying pan and cook for around 2-3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
When the pasta is almost ready, add onion and garlic to the frying pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add the sauce, stir for around 3 minutes, then add the pasta and stir for 2 minutes more. Serve immediately with the tomatoes and olives.
Tips and modification
- I used fettuccine pasta for this recipe, but you can serve the sauce with any pasta variety.
- You can add vegetables of your choice to this dish, such as broccoli, zucchini or leafy greens.
- You can also add various other spices, such as cumin or dried herbs.
- Adjust how much nutritional yeast you use depending on how cheesy you want the dish to be.
Other vegan pasta recipes
- Butternut squash mac and cheese with tofu
- Creamy tofu pasta
- Vegan coconut vegetable and mushroom stir-fry
- Tempeh pasta with roasted cauliflower
Let me know in the comments – what’s your favourite pasta dish? If you give this vegan fettuccine Alfredo recipe a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below!
Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo (Gluten-free)
- 10 oz fettuccine gluten-free
- 1 cup cashews soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 10 cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 black olives chopped
- dried herbs to serve
- First, start cooking your pasta according to instructions on packaging. Ensure not to overcook it - it's best to leave it slightly al dente.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Alfredo sauce by adding soaked and rinsed cashews, unsweetened almond milk, tamari and nutritional yeast to a blender or food processor and blending until smooth.
- Add sliced cherry tomatoes to a non-stick frying pan and cook for around 2-3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- When the pasta is almost ready, add onion and garlic to the frying pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add the sauce, stir for around 3 minutes, then add the pasta and stir for 2 minutes more. Serve immediately with the tomatoes, olives and dried herbs.