Sweet Potato Skillet With Sweetcorn
This sweet potato skillet with sweetcorn and peas is perfect for a savory breakfast or brunch. Crunchy on the outside and with an amazing distinctive flavor, it’s a 20-minute vegan meal that’s guaranteed to impress.
I love sweet potato, and I love it even more for breakfast. It’s one of those perfect ingredients that works really well in sweet and savory recipes alike. And just like ordinary potatoes, there are so many forms in which you can cook sweet potato: there really is a way that anyone will love!
This sweet potato skillet was at first the outcome of me needing to use up some sweet potatoes. But it quickly grew into one of my go-to options for brunch, or even as breakfast for dinner! It has a wonderfully savory and earthy flavor. As a sweet potato hash should be, it’s also super crispy: kinda like sweet potato fries made in a skillet.
Skillet potatoes of any kind are also a great option to use up vegetables you have laying around in the fridge. As you can see, I added peas, sweetcorn, red onion and mushrooms. It was a mixture of textures and flavors I absolutely adore, and I’m sure you’ll love it too, if you’re a fan of savory vegan breakfasts that are hearty and comforting. Plus, you need just 20 minutes to make it from start to finish.
How to make a vegan sweet potato skillet
Start by heating olive oil i a skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the sweet potato, which you ca either grate, or chop into matchsticks. Cook it for 5-7 minutes, util softened ad starting to crisp up.
Next, trafer the sweet potato to a large mixig bowl together with mushrooms, garlic ad onion. Now add lemo juice, peas, sweetcorn, salt, paprika, flour, tomato paste, vegan cheese and soy sauce.
Now transfer the sweet potato hash back to the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, for around 5 minutes more, until browned and crispy.
Tips and substitutions
- This skillet potato recipe also works with any potato variety of your choice.
- To make this sweet potato hash gluten-free, simply use gluten-free flour, and tamari instead of soy sauce.
- Feel free to add other vegetables of your choice, but avoid ones with a high water content (like cucumber).
- Adjust the spices and seasoning depending on personal preference. For instance, add sriracha for a hint of spice, and dried herbs for more of an earthy flavor.
- If you grate the sweet potato, you can also turn this recipe into fritters!
- For some extra plant based protein, add mashed chickpeas or crumbled tofu.
How to serve vegan sweet potato hash
I love serving this sweet potato skillet by itself with a side salad. It also works really well as a side for an avocado toast brunch! You can also go ahead and add any sauce of your choice. You can keep it as simple as adding ketchup or BBQ sauce. But I also love serving sweet potato dishes with my chunky guacamole, or spicy cashew cream.
How to store skillet sweet potato
Skillet sweet potato is best eaten immediately, for best crispiness and flavor. You can, however, keep it in the fridge in an airtight container for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave before serving.
Other delicious sweet potato recipes
- You can’t go wrong with cheesy sweet potato noodles.
- For a great side dish, try crispy sweet potato wedges.
- Make sweet potato soup for a cozy and wholesome dinner.
- My sweet potato gnocchi are a must-try!
If you give this vegan sweet potato skillet a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating!
Get the Recipe: Sweet Potato Skillet (Vegan)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups sweet potato, grated or chopped into matchsticks
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, (around 1 lemon)
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup sweetcorn
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Mixing bowl
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the sweet potato, which you ca either grate, or chop into matchsticks. Cook it for 5-7 minutes, util softened ad starting to crisp up.2 tbsp olive oil, 3 cups sweet potato
- Transfer the sweet potato to a large mixing bowl together with mushrooms, garlic and onion. Add lemon juice, peas, sweetcorn, salt, paprika, flour, tomato paste, vegan cheese and soy sauce.1 cup mushrooms, 2 cloves garlic, 1 large onion, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup peas, 1/2 cup sweetcorn, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp paprika, 1/3 cup flour, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1/2 cup vegan cheese, 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Transfer the sweet potato hash back to the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, for around 5 minutes more, until browned and crispy.