Simple Vegan Mozzarella
This vegan mozzarella is soft, perfectly flavoured, and made with just a handful of simple ingredients! It is perfect for adding to salads, vegan cheese boards, toast, and pizza. Gluten-free and oil-free.
I can without doubt say that I am addicted to vegan mozzarella. I’ve been making different variations of it for months now, and it never gets old. It’s such a simple vegan cheese to make! In general, I love making vegan cheese at home, but whenever I don’t have a lot of time and want cheesy perfection on my table asap, this is pretty much my go-to recipe. If you’ve never had homemade vegan cheese before, this is a fantastic place to start.
Now, this is a soft mozzarella cheese. In other words, you can’t grate it, but it does have a delightful melt-in-your-mouth texture. You have the choice between keeping it stretchy and serving it without keeping in the fridge, or refrigerating it for a bit more of a firm, sliceable cheese. Either way, you probably won’t be able to get enough of it.
How to make soft vegan mozzarella cheese
It’s an incredibly straightforward process! See the recipe card for ingredient measurements.
Firstly, add all the ingredients minus the agar agar to a high speed blender. These are: cashews, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, salt, tapioca flour, lemon juice and garlic powder.
Blend until very smooth, then pour into a saucepan over a medium heat. Stir with a whisk, and gradually add the agar agar, around 1/2 tbsp at a time.
Continue whisking until it gets thick and stretchy – this usually takes around 5 minutes. You can either serve it now, or transfer to a container of your choice and leave to set in the fridge for around two hours.
How to serve vegan mozzarella
There are so many ways that you can enjoy this vegan cheese! Here are some of my favourites:
- Add it to pizza! This will, without doubt, impress both vegans and non-vegans.
- Make a caprese salad. This is a favourite of mine, especially during the warmer months.
- Make a sandwich with tomatoes and spinach,.
- Simply serve it on gluten-free vegan bread for a delicious snack.
- Serve it on a vegan cheese platter.
- Add it to pasta dishes, such as lemon pasta.
- Take a zucchini sweet potato salad to the next level!
Tips and substitutions
- If you’re leaving it to set in the fridge, you may have to lightly grease your container to prevent it from sticking. The longer you leave it in there, the firmer the cheese will become.
- Lemon juice can be replaced with the same amount of apple cider vinegar.
- The garlic powder can be replaced with a clove of fresh garlic.
Other vegan snacks and appetizers you might like
- Savoury oat and tofu vegan egg muffins
- Carrot cake bliss balls
- Gluten-free quinoa bread rolls
- Peanut butter cups
- Gluten-free zucchini bread
Let me know in the comments: have you ever made vegan cheese at home? If you give this simple vegan mozzarella a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating.
Get the Recipe: Simple Vegan Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp agar agar
- High speed blender or food processor
- Container for setting
- Add all the cashews, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, salt, tapioca flour, lemon juice and garlic powder to a high speed blender or a food processor. Make sure to wash the cashews thoroughly before using them.
- Blend until very smooth, then pour into a saucepan over a medium heat. Stir with a whisk, and gradually add the agar agar, around 1/2 tbsp at a time.
- Continue whisking until it gets thick and stretchy - this usually takes around 5 minutes.
- You can either serve it as it is, or transfer to a container of your choice and leave to set in the fridge for around two hours.