This simple vegan broccoli stir-fry with mushrooms, sesame seeds and a sweet and sour orange sauce makes a perfect side dish or dinner. It’s gluten-free, made with healthy ingredients and ready in under 25 minutes!
I love broccoli – I always have. It’s one of my favourite vegetables because of how incredibly versatile it is. You can roast it, add it to soups, stews, and casseroles, eat it as a snack with a dipping sauce … Just like tofu, it’s an ingredient that’s divisive until it’s prepared in the right way.
I cook with broccoli numerous times a week, also because it’s relatively cheap and very accessible where I live. The great thing about it is that it soaks up any flavours you add to it. So even if plain broccoli isn’t your thing, broccoli with a rich sauce may help you change your mind about it!
Vegan broccoli stir fry with sesame seeds
Say hello to my favourite simple broccoli stir fry. Despite the simplicity of the ingredients used, this recipe certainly doesn’t miss any flavour. That’s because we’re adding a tangy sweet and sour orange sauce which goes super well with the broccoli. And don’t worry, the orange flavour is not at all overpowering – it is nicely balanced by the other ingredients.
The broccoli is roasted because I find that this really takes the texture to the next level. It acquires a light crispiness while still staying soft and tender. However, you can skip this stage and just stir-fry it for a little bit longer.
I also added mushrooms and sesame seeds to add more variety and texture to the dish. You can serve it as a flavoursome side dish or as a main course over a bed of rice for a ‘fakeout’ style dinner. What’s even better is that you only need 25 minutes from start to finish!
Ingredients you will need
- Broccoli florets. You can also use brocolini (Tenderstem broccoli). Do not throw away the stem, as you can use this in order recipes, like salads.
- Olive oil for roasting the broccoli.
- Sesame oil for stir-frying.
- Mushrooms. I used button mushrooms, but oyster and shiitake mushrooms work well too.
- Red onion or shallots.
- Tamari. Use soy sauce if not avoiding gluten, or coconut aminos for a soy-free version.
- Orange juice. I typically use freshly-squeezed.
- Rice vinegar.
- Cornstarch. Arrowroot powder works too.
- Sesame seeds. These make a great finishing touch.
How to make stir-fried broccoli
It’s incredibly easy! Firstly, roast the broccoli. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/400 F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Add the broccoli to the baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, until lightly crispy.
When the broccoli is almost done, heat the sesame oil in a skillet or wok over a medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and red onion, cooking for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften.
Now add the broccoli and cook for a further 3 minutes to allow the florets to soften further.
Lower the heat to medium. Add the tamari, orange juice, rice vinegar, and water. Stir together for a minute or so, then add the cornstarch and cook for a further few minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
At the last minute, stir in the sesame seeds and serve.
What else can I add to this broccoli stir-fry?
I kept this recipe pretty basic, so you can tweak it to your preferences. Some other ingredients you can add are:
- Other vegetables, like zucchini, peppers, carrots, aubergine, etc.
- Tofu and tempeh. They are great sources of vegan protein and go really well with a sweet and sour sauce.
- Chickpeas. Another great plant protein that’s wholesome, with a nutty flavour.
- Other beans, like black beans, butter beans, green beans, etc.
- You can add cooked noodles at the end and toss them together with the vegetables.
Other quick vegan dinners you might like
- Broccoli cheese soup
- Smoky tofu eggplant pasta
- Peanut chickpea curry
- One pot lemon pasta
- Curried red beans and rice
Let me know in the comments: what’s your favourite way to cook broccoli? If you give this simple vegan broccoli stir-fry a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating.
Simple Vegan Broccoli Stir fry
- Conventional oven
- Non-stick frying pan
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesam oil
- 1 1/2 cup button mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/400 F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Add the broccoli to the baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, until lightly crispy.
- When the broccoli is almost done, heat the sesame oil in a skillet or wok over a medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and red onion, cooking for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the broccoli and cook for a further 3 minutes to allow the florets to soften further.
- Lower the heat to medium. Add the tamari, orange juice, rice vinegar, and water. Stir together for a minute or so, then add the cornstarch and cook for a further few minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- At the last minute, stir in the sesame seeds and serve.