This one pot vegan lemon pasta is tangy, fresh, comforting, and bursting with a distinctive lemon flavour. Make it in less than 20 minutes using just one pot and simple, wholesome ingredients. Gluten-free and oil-free.
My love for pasta is pretty much infinite. At this stage, I eat it at least every other day, and I don’t plan on stopping any time soon. There’s just so much versatility when it comes to cooking pasta, not to mention how straightforward it is – in other words, perfect for a busy day dinner.
Even better if said pasta dish contains vegetables and an amazing amount of flavour. Which is where this vegan lemon pasta comes in. If you want to have something delicious and wholesome for dinner but not sure what, here is a perfect idea for you! No matter what season it is, I love distinctive lemony flavours in savoury dishes. The whole dish tastes brighter, and almost like I’m eating something gourmet from the comfort of my own home.
Why you’ll love this one-pot vegan lemon pasta
There’s a lot to love about this dish. Here are just a few reasons:
- It’s made using only one pot! Which means, you don’t have to run around the kitchen juggling 50 different pans. It’s as straightforward as putting everything into one saucepan, and also saving on unnecessary washing up.
- It’s gluten-free, as long as you use gluten-free pasta. I used gluten-free penne, which is pretty easy to find in most major supermarkets and health food stores.
- Also oil-free. To keep this dish free from oil, simply sauté the vegetables in water or veggie broth and use non-stick saucepan.
- Ready in less than 25 minutes. If you love quick dinners, this is the perfect option for you.
- Super easy to make. The preparation is super easy, and the final product is pretty much impossible to mess up.
- Versatile. You can add any other vegetables of your choice as well as the zucchini and tomatoes, or stir in beans for some extra protein.
- A perfect meal prep option! This lemon pasta is great for batch cooking and storing in the fridge for whenever you’re ready to eat.
Ingredients and substitutions for the yummiest lemon pasta
- Garlic, either minced or chopped.
- Zucchini. In the summer, we get an abundance of zucchini growing in our allotment and making pasta dishes is one of my favourite ways to use it up!
- Fresh tomatoes. These make an excellent addition to pasta sauces due to their naturally tangy and subtly sweet flavour.
- Gluten-free pasta of choice. Any shape of pasta works for this recipe.
- Coconut milk. Use either full-fat or light, but full-fat makes this dish more creamy and rich.
- Veggie broth, or water for a lower salt option.
- Nutritional yeast. This adds a fantastic cheesy undertone that I love, but you can leave it out if you want to.
- Mustard. Ensure both vegan and gluten-free.
- Salt, to taste. I use pink Himalayan salt or flaky sea salt.
- Lemon juice. This is the star ingredient that will give the dish its distinctive flavour! I would definitely recommend using fresh lemon juice.
How to make it!
Firstly, sauté the garlic and zucchini in a saucepan until they soften, around 2-3 minutes. Next add the fresh tomatoes and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes start to soften up and release their juices.
Now add the pasta, coconut milk, veggie broth, nutritional yeast and mustard. Stir everything together really well and simmer over a medium heat for 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently (around once every 1-2 minutes), until the pasta is cooked through and the sauce is creamy and thick.
Around two minutes before the pasta is ready, season to taste with salt and stir in the lemon juice. Serve immediately, garnishing with fresh herbs of your choice.
Storing and freezing one pot pasta
This pasta keeps well in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container. However, I would not recommend freezing it because when de-frosted, the sauce turns out grainy.
Other delicious vegan pasta recipes
- Creamy vegan pasta salad
- Smoky tofu eggplant pasta
- Tahini garlic pasta
- Chickpea pasta with mushrooms
- Nut-free creamy pasta with butter beans
Let me know in the comments: what’s your favourite one-pot meal? If you give this one-pot vegan lemon pasta a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating.
One Pot Vegan Lemon Pasta
- 2 cloves garlic minced or chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free pasta
- 1 cup coconut milk tinned, either full fat or light
- 1 1/2 cups veggie broth
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp mustard ensure vegan and gluten-free
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 lemon juice of
- Firstly, sauté the garlic and zucchini in a saucepan until they soften, around 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fresh tomatoes and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes start to soften up and release their juices.
- Add the pasta, coconut milk, veggie broth, nutritional yeast and mustard. Stir everything together really well and simmer over a medium heat for 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently (around once every 1-2 minutes), until the pasta is cooked through and the sauce is creamy and thick.
- Around two minutes before the pasta is ready, season to taste with salt and stir in the lemon juice. Serve immediately, garnishing with fresh herbs of your choice.