Vegan, oil-free and gluten-free creamy tofu pasta! With mushrooms, asparagus and broccoli, this is a weeknight dinner packed with garlicky and cheesy flavour, is ready in under 20 minutes and super easy too.
Except for when I’m cooking and styling meals for this blog and my Instagram, I admit that I can be quite lazy when it comes to food. As a university student, meals that are quick and simple but still nutritious are my favourite. Sometimes that involves creating leftovers bowls using whatever ingredients I have in the fridge. At other times, I still follow recipes, but ones that require minimal time and effort.
So, I can without doubt say that I love pasta. Pasta does have a bad rep with some people because you know, carbs. But to me, carbs are an incredible source of energy and really important to my diet as a whole. That being said, I don’t eat it super often because I prefer rice and potatoes, but when I do, I ensure it’s as yummy as possible.
Creamy vegan tofu pasta
Okay, now let’s talk about this vegan tofu pasta recipe, which is one of my (and my non-vegan mum’s) favourites at the moment. I try to ensure all of the recipes on this blog are beginner friendly and not overcomplicated, but this one takes easy to a whole new level. However, easy certainly doesn’t mean bland or flavourless – I would recommend you prepare more than one portion of this, because chances are you’ll want to go back for seconds!
The sauce is made not only from a traditional plant milk base, but also tofu for extra creaminess and some vegan protein too. If you’ve never cooked with tofu before or didn’t enjoy your previous experiences, the best thing to do is to hide it in the recipe, which is exactly what this vegan tofu pasta achieves. The overall flavour of the sauce is savoury, garlicky and with a hint of cheesiness from the nutritional yeast.
The rest of the ingredients are very simple. The vegetables I used are mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, broccoli and asparagus, but if you don’t have those on hand or dislike any of them, feel free to use any other veggies you have in the fridge. However, it’s important to use a good amount, because they add flavour and texture, not to mention bringing about all the familiar health benefits of vegetables!
This creamy vegan tofu pasta is best when eaten straight away, however it could also work for meal prep. Simply store in the fridge for up for 3 days in an airtight container, reheating as needed. I like to add some sesame seeds and eat this meal with a side salad.
What’s to love about this creamy tofu recipe?
- Beginner friendly. Having to use 5 pans, the oven and an air fryer simultaneously for a single recipe could undoubtedly feel confusing for someone who’s new to the kitchen. But this one requires just simple preparation.
- Quick. This vegan tofu pasta is ready in under 20 minutes.
- Perfect for a simple weeknight dinner.
- Also good for saving time because you won’t need to do a lot of washing up.
- Healthy and a great way to eat more veggies.
- Super yummy! Which is, of course, the most important thing.
Add the garlic, onion, onion granules and mushrooms to a non-stick saucepan and cook in around 2 tbsp water for around 4 minutes, until the mushrooms start to cook down. Meanwhile, add the tofu to a blender or food processor together with the plantbased milk and blend until smooth. Then, pour into the saucepan together with the pasta, vegetable stock and nutritional yeast.
Cook on a low-medium heat for around 10 minutes. Then, add the broccoli and asparagus, stirring for around 2 minutes more. At the last minute, season with salt and pepper and stir in some spinach. Serve and enjoy!
Tips and modifications
- You can use any pasta variety of your choice for this recipe.
- You can also use any unsweetened plant milk variety of your choice.
- If you don’t eat nutritional yeast, swap it out for some onion granules or tomato purée.
- Drizzle a little bit of tahini on top of this dish and thank me later
Other vegan pasta recipes
- Vegan pasta salad with beetroot and lentils
- Creamy tomato pasta with tofu
- Tempeh pasta with roasted cauliflower
- Simple vegan pasta bake with tofu
Let me know in the comments – what’s your favourite pasta recipe? If you give this creamy tofu pasta a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations!
Creamy Vegan Tofu Pasta
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp onion granules
- 3.5 oz mushrooms chopped
- 3.5 oz tofu
- 3/4 cup plantbased milk unsweetened
- 3.5 oz gluten-free pasta
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2.5 oz tenderstem broccoli chopped
- 2.5 oz asparagus chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or to tastew
- 1.5 cups spinach
- Add the garlic, onion, onion granules and mushrooms to a non-stick saucepan and cook in around 2 tbsp water for around 4 minutes, until the mushrooms start to cook down.
- Meanwhile, add the tofu to a blender or food processor together with the plantbased milk and blend until smooth. Then, pour into the saucepan together with the pasta, vegetable stock and nutritional yeast.
- Cook on a low-medium heat for around 10 minutes. Then, add the broccoli and asparagus, stirring for around 2 minutes more.
- At the last minute, season with salt and pepper and stir in some spinach. Serve and enjoy!