Serve a stack of healthy, yet perfectly delicious and fluffy vegan cinnamon pancakes drizzled with a rich chocolate cashew sauce for a relaxed weekend breakfast – or a midweek dinner, if you’d prefer! Serve with fresh fruit and/or berries of your choice for added perfection.
In my opinion, nothing can beat a stack of pancakes on Sunday mornings. Although I’m not gonna lie, I’m all for eating them on any day of the week at any time (midnight snack goals, anyone?!). Until a few months ago, I didn’t make them very often. And now, a huge stack with an abundance of toppings is at least a weekly necessity.
Of course, a pancake breakfast takes a bit longer and a pinch more effort than a bowl of oats or a smoothie. Plus, I tend to prep the latter the night before so it’s quite literally a case of grab and go. But the extra care that goes into crafting a pancake stack is always worth the outcome. They just feel more special, and give my morning a cosy, relaxed vibe, particularly when I find the opportunity to enjoy them as a breakfast in bed!
So, let’s discuss these vegan cinnamon pancakes.
I think I should first of all mention the apple sauce, which adds a wonderful yet subtle flavour to create the apple and cinnamon combo that’s very hard to outdo. It brings everything together and gives the pancakes a slightly spongy texture without cancelling out the fluffiness we all love in this dish. However, if you don’t have any apple sauce on hand, simply replace it with 1/2 a ripe mashed banana
The batter is oil-free and made from healthy ingredients (oat flour being the main one), not to mention super versatile as far as toppings are concerned. Just throw on whatever fresh fruits and/or berries you have in the fridge, and you’re good to go.
However, the chocolate cashew sauce is not something you want to miss out on. I always make a little extra to eat by itself or store in the fridge to later use in other recipes (try it on porridge and thank me later). Feel free to use any nut or seed butter instead of cashew, or make your own by roasting some cashew nuts for a few minutes and blending in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Let me know in the comments: what are your favourite pancake toppings? If you try out this recipe, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations!
Vegan Cinnamon Pancakes With A Chocolate Cashew Sauce
- 3/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup soy yoghurt coconut works too
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp cashew butter
- 1 tbsp cashew milk
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp cacao powder
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the wet and dry pancake ingredients and set aside for around five minutes. Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan on a medium-high heat – make sure it's thoroughly heated before you start making the pancakes.
- Spoon the batter into pancakes shapes, making sure they are not too thin. I find that slightly under 1/4 cup of the pancake mix per pancake works best. Carefully flip when bubbles start to form on the surface and the edges are looking crispy.
- To make the sauce, simply whisk together the cashew butter, cashew milk, agave nectar and cacao powder in a small bowl.
- Serve immediately with fruits and/or berries of your choice, and shredded coconut.