Get the Recipe:
Crispy Sweet Potato Wedges (Vegan)
These crispy sweet potato wedges are fluffy on the inside, with a perfect crunch on the outside! You need just six simple ingredients to make homemade wedges, serving them as a side dish, or as a snack with a dip of your choice. Vegan and gluten-free.
Slice each potato in half lengthways. Then, slice each half lengthways again, so that each potato turns into 8 wedges.
Soak the potatoes in a bowl of water for an hour. Afterwards, drain, rinse well and pat dry thoroughly using a paper towel.
Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C (425 F) and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
Transfer the wedges to a large mixing bowl, and also add olive oil, maple syrup, paprika and cornstarch. Stir together well, until the sweet potatoes are evenly coated in the cornstarch.
Transfer the wedges to the baking tray, making sure not to overcrowd. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then carefully remove the tray and use kitchen tongs to flip the wedges over. Place back in the oven and bake for a further 10-15 minutes, until crispy.
Season with salt and fresh herbs, before serving with a dip of your choice, or as a side dish.
How to make sure the sweet potato wedges are crispy
- Place the baked sweet potato wedges on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Make sure that they are spaced out and don't overlap. Place them in the freezer for an hour, then transfer to freezer-friendly bags, labelling the bags.
- These can be kept in the freezer for 3-4 months. In order to reheat, arrange them on a baking tray, drizzle with a little bit of extra oil, and place in the oven at 220 degrees C (425 F) for 15 minutes, until crispy once again.
- Soak the sweet potatoes. Simply submerge them in a bowl of water and set aside for an hour.
- Make the sweet potato wedges even-sized. This will make sure that you don't end up with some wedges that are overcooked, while others are still undercooked.
- Leave the skin on. You can peel them if you want to, but leaving them unpeeled can really add to the texture.
- Don't use too much oil. A little bit is necessary, but adding too much can make them soggier.
- Cornstarch is the key secret ingredient. You need just a small amount, and it's the key to achieving the perfect crispy texture. Tapioca flour also works.
- Don't overcrowd the baking tray. This is to make sure that the moisture has enough room to escape from the wedges.
- Bake at a high temperature. I would recommend 220 degrees C/425 F. Keep in mind that each oven is slightly different, which may impact baking times slightly, so check every 8-10 minutes.
- Season to salt right at the end. Make sure that you don't add salt before baking.
Calories: 308kcal, Carbohydrates: 58g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 708mg, Potassium: 799mg, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 16g, Vitamin A: 32422IU, Vitamin C: 5mg, Calcium: 81mg, Iron: 2mg