An easy and delicious winter black bean salad with rice and kale! Vegan, gluten-free and oil-free, this recipe works perfectly either as a main or a side dish. Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner!
I love taking salads to the next level, because it’s pretty much impossible to suppose that any of us like boring salads. Well, I do when I’m in a rush and don’t have the time to get creative. But as much as I can, I keep my salads filling, flavourful and also high in protein.
That’s why I think autumn and winter are actually my favourite times for salads. With a black bean salad like this one. you can enjoy an abundance of vegetables while using a carby base to make the overall dish super cosy and comforting. Add some sort of simple yet delicious dressing, and that’s lunch or dinner sorted!
About this winter black bean salad with rice and kale
I guess this meal is a fancier version of rice and beans, but it is in fact not fancy at all. What I love about this meal is just how simple it is to throw together in just about 25-30 minutes (or even less if you have pre-cooked rice on hand). I actually first came up with this dish when I had a bunch of leftover veggies in the fridge. Falling in love with the outcome, I tested it once more and simply couldn’t not share!
Reasons to love this vegan winter salad
- Delicious and packed full of flavour
- Easy to make, with simple ingredients and dressing
- Comforting and cosy
- Ideal for a weeknight dinner
- Made from whole, minimally processed ingredients
- Versatile – add whatever other veggies you fancy!
You can serve it as a side dish for Christmas and Thanksgiving that all of your family members will love. It’s also a great make ahead/meal prep lunch option. I personally love eating this black bean salad as a post-workout meal!
How to make this winter black bean salad
Start by cooking your rice according to instructions on packaging. This usually takes around 25-30 minutes. Meanwhile, massage the kale for 2-3 minutes to shrink it down, then stir in the tahini and a pinch of salt.
Then, prepare the dressing by stirring together the fresh orange juice, miso paste and apple cider vinegar. Add a pinch of salt if you want.
Once the rice is ready, add it to a large mixing bowl with the black beans, kale, tomatoes, purple cabbage, cucumber and red onion. When you’re just about ready to serve the black bean salad, stir in the dressing, transfer to serving plates and enjoy!
Notes and modifications:
- Add any other vegetables you have in the fridge: think zucchini, bell pepper, lettuce, etc.
- If you want it less sweet and more tangy, replace the orange juice with the equivalent amount of lemon or lime juice.
- You can keep this black bean salad in the fridge in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- How about a chickpea quinoa salad with pumpkin?
- …or an easy black bean and vegetable rice soup?
- My coconut vegetable and mushroom stir-fry makes a delicious weeknight dinner!
Winter Black Bean Salad With Rice And Kale (Vegan, Gluten-free)
- 1 cup white rice uncooked
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1 tbsp tahini
- salt, to taste
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 8-9 medium vine tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup red cabbage chopped
- 1/2 large cucumber chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp brown rice miso paste
- juice of 1 small orange
- salt, to taste
- Cook the rice according to instructions on packaging. This usually takes 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, massage the kale for 2-3 minutes, then stir in the tahini.
- To make the dressing, stir together the apple cider vinegar, brown rice miso paste, orange juice and salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Once the rice is cooked, stir it together with the kale, black beans, tomatoes, red cabbage, cucumber and red onion. Add the dressing immediately before serving.
Pin this for later!