These vegan peanut butter cookies with tahini are chewy, soft, and crispy on the outside. Yummy as a dessert or as a snack that everyone will love, they are also easy and ready in around 25 minutes! Gluten-free, oil-free and undetectably plant based.
Sometimes, recipes that require minimal effort and ingredients are the yummiest ones. That’s certainly how I like my cookies. The quicker they go from mixing bowl to plate (and make the house smell amazing in the process), the better.
As I’ve mentioned a few times on my Instagram, baking is my favourite Christmassy activity. Sure, I love Christmas movies and decorating the house but being a foodie, nothing is as fun as putting on some festive tunes and getting creative in the kitchen. While back home from uni, I’ve been baking as much as possible because treats like cake and cookies typically require a bit more testing, which isn’t always possible within a tight uni schedule.
About these vegan peanut butter cookies
These cookies are perfect for any season or occasion. Christmas, Thanksgiving, a Friday night treat, anything. The flavours of tahini and peanut butter come together beautifully, also giving the cookies a wonderful chewy texture.
Another great thing is that they require just one bowl and about 20-25 minutes in terms of time. So, if you have a holiday party coming up, there are a fantastic last-minute dessert. They would also work as an edible homemade gift! So, if you have any friends that love cookies (and who doesn’t?!), these would impress them for sure.
These vegan peanut butter cookies are also pretty big. Of course, you can make them smaller if you want to, but I turned the ingredient quantities listed below into 8 absolutely enormous cookies. And honestly, I think that when the treat yo self mentality is abundant, that’s the way to go with cookies!
How to make vegan cookies chewy
While gluten-free vegan baking is challenging, I’ve discovered that it really is quite easy to make gluten-free and oil-free cookies that are still chewy and soft. Using some sort of nut or seed butter usually works well for this task. Here, I used a mixture of peanut butter and tahini.
Tahini is definitely one of my favourite ingredients and I use it a lot in my recipes, both sweet and savoury. The flavour of it in these cookies is not too overwhelming, but it does assist with creating a wonderful texture. Coconut sugar works the best as a sweetener. When I tested the recipe with maple syrup, they turned out much harder and fell apart after cooling.
What’s to love about these vegan peanut butter cookies?
- Undetectably vegan.
- Super easy and beginner-friendly
- Made with just a few ingredients.
- Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Great for Christmas and special occasions.
- Ready in 25 minutes.
Eat them by themselves, drizzle with peanut butter or melted chocolate, or top them with a homemade cashew frosting! Either way, they are super yummy every time.
How to make vegan peanut butter cookies
Start by preheating the oven to 180 degrees C (350F). Prepare a baking tray by lining it with a sheet of parchment paper.
Add the peanut butter, tahini, vanilla extract and plant based milk to a mixing bowl. Whisk together thoroughly to form a smooth texture.
Next, add the gluten-free flour, baking soda and coconut sugar. Mix using a spatula and your hands if necessary to make a dough ball.
Spoon out even dollops of the dough onto the baking tray, flattening them down slightly. Make sure to leave plenty of room between the cookies – it may be necessary to use more than one baking tray as they do spread out a lot.
Bake in the oven for around 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool for a while, and enjoy!
Tips and modifications
- I kept these vegan peanut butter cookies super simple, but you can add some vegan chocolate chips if you want to!
- These are best when eaten within 2-3 days. Store them in an airtight container or covered either at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Be sure not to leave them in the oven for too long, because they can start to burn quite quickly.
Other recipes you might like…
- My sweet potato brownies are another simple and delicious treat!
- If you’re looking to do some festive baking, how about a vegan gingerbread cake with coconut frosting…
- … or cranberry orange muffins?
Let me know in the comments: what’s your favourite cookie flavour? If you give these vegan tahini cookies a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating and any changes you made.
Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies With Tahini
- Conventional oven
- Baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowl
- 1/2 cup peanut butter smooth
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk or any other plantbased milk of choice
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- Start by preheating the oven to 180 degrees C (350F). Prepare a baking tray by lining it with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Add the peanut butter, tahini, vanilla extract and plant based milk to a mixing bowl. Whisk together thoroughly to form a smooth texture.
- Add the gluten-free flour, baking soda and coconut sugar. Mix using a spatula and your hands if necessary to make a dough ball.
- Spoon out even dollops of the dough onto the baking tray, flattening them down slightly. Make sure to leave plenty of room between the cookies - it may be necessary to use more than one baking tray as they do spread out a lot.
- Bake in the oven for around 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool for a while, and enjoy.