This vegan kidney bean one pot pasta recipe is easy to make with simple ingredients in under 20 minutes! Wholesome and savoury, it’s the perfect comforting weeknight dinner that’s healthy too. Gluten-free and oil-free.
Let’s talk about one-pot pasta for a second. It’s practically magic, especially if you’re short on time and hate washing up. The two usually go hand in hand. Washing up isn’t too much of an unenjoyable process, but it often takes longer than the actual cooking!
Well, one-pot meals save time, energy and washing up. All you have is one pot to deal with, and a belly full of pasta. What more could you ask for?!]
Vegan kidney bean one pot pasta recipe
If you decide to miss out on this vegan one pot pasta recipe then well, that’s your loss! Anyone that loves pasta should put it on their dinner rotation.
More specifically? Here we’re talking chewy, tender spaghetti, cooked in rich coconut milk with an abundance of spices: paprika for a generous hint of spice, cumin for earthiness, turmeric for depth and that beautiful orange colour. Apple cider vinegar adds some tanginess.
We are also adding kidney beans, which are delicious and a great source of plant based protein. Out of all bean varieties, i find these work particularly well in pastas and salads.
And of course, no Earth of Maria recipe is complete without a lot of vegetables. Here I added onions, mushrooms, zucchini, bell pepper and carrots, but you can customise it to your own preferences. Have a look in your fridge and get creative! And I’d love to hear all about your final creations in the comments.
You will love this vegan one pot pasta!
- Savoury and rich.
- Made using simple, healthy ingredients.
- Incredibly flavourful.
- Slightly spicy (just the right amount).
- Made in just one pot (of course).
- Easy and beginner-friendly.
- Ready in under 20 minutes.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Onion. I used basic white onion, but red onion works really well too.
- Mushrooms. Chestnut mushrooms are my favourites to use for this recipe, but shiitake work really well too. Avoid plain white mushrooms because they don’t achieve the same depth of flavour.
- Zucchini. Most commonly known as courgette here in the UK.
- Bell pepper. Use any colour you have on hand.
- Smoked paprika.
- Kidney beans. You can leave these out entirely or swap them for a different bean variety. To really switch things up, crumble in some tofu.
- Coconut milk – the canned variety. You can use light coconut milk depending on how rich/low in fat you want this recipe to be.
- Oat milk. Or any other plant based milk variety, just ensure it’s unsweetened. You can use vegetable stock, but the result won’t be as creamy.
- Gluten-free spaghetti. You can also use ordinary spaghetti if you’re not avoiding gluten, or any other pasta shape.
- Lemon juice.
- Apple cider vinegar.
- Vegetable stock. For an even creamier pasta, sub with more canned coconut milk or plant based milk of your choice.
How to make a creamy vegan one pot pasta
Sauté the onions and the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes in a large non-stick saucepan until they begin to soften.
Add the zucchini, carrot, bell pepper, and smoked paprika. Stir for a minute to coat the vegetables.
Stir through the kidney beans, then pour in the coconut milk and oat milk. Add the spaghetti, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, turmeric, cumin and vegetable stock. Simmer, stirring frequently, for 10-12 minutes or until the pasta is cooked through. Add more vegetable stock if it gets too dry.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
How should I store this one pot spaghetti?
This dish is best served immediately. However, you can store it in the fridge in an air-tight container for 2-3 days. Reheat on the stove (you may need to add more liquid as you do so).
Looking for more vegan one pot meals?
Let me know: what’s your favourite one pot dinner? If you give this vegan kidney bean one post pasta recipe a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below!
Vegan Kidney Bean One Pot Pasta Recipe
- Non-stick saucepan
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1.5 cups chestnut mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup zucchini chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 large bell pepper chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 can coconut milk Use low fat if you prefer
- 1 cup oat milk or any other plant based milk of your choice
- 7 oz gluten-free spaghetti
- 1 lemon juice of
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- salt to taste
- Sauté the onions and the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes in a large non-stick saucepan until they begin to soften.
- Add the zucchini, carrot, bell pepper, and smoked paprika. Stir for a minute to coat the vegetables.
- Stir through the kidney beans, then pour in the coconut milk and oat milk. Add the spaghetti, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, turmeric, cumin and vegetable stock. Simmer, stirring frequently, for 10-12 minutes or until the pasta is cooked through. Add more vegetable stock if it gets too dry.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.