Vegan Gnocchi Soup With Kale
This vegan gnocchi soup with kale and lots of vegetables is a dinner idea that tastes and looks luxurious, but is so effortless to make! You need just 20 minutes and simple ingredients. Then, enjoy a bowl of cosy deliciousness with a smooth cashew cream, pillowy gnocchi and fresh kale.
Gnocchi soup. It’s as good as it sounds and looks. Plus, it’s so easy to make a vegan copycat recipe based on the Olive Garden dish. If you love rich, creamy soups that are bursting with vegetables, this may become a new favorite of yours. It’s definitely a go-to dinner for me these days! And it’s a fantastic way to use homemade vegan gnocchi.
As I’m writing this, I’m feeling the pressure of uni work and staying on top of everything. Exams are around the corner, and I have to make the most efficient use of my time. But that doesn’t mean missing out on wholesome and delicious homemade meal. This soup is a great example of the sort of thing that I love to eat whenever things get hectic.
Why you’ll love this vegan gnocchi soup
I don’t even know where to start. I mean, what’s not to love?! Gnocchi, first of all, make an amazing soup ingredient. Pillowy and soft, they have the most amazing texture. Not to mention the fact that they absorb the flavors of the broth perfectly! They really are the star ingredient of this dish.
Then, we have the amazing cashew cream which is made using 3 ingredients. It’s the base of this recipe that creates a smooth, creamy texture. And in my opinion, creamy soups are just the ideal weeknight meal for when you want something quick and very comforting.
This gnocchi soup also contains lots of vegetables! I added carrots, zucchini, sweetcorn and pepper, but you can addd other vegetables of your choice, depending on what you have in the fridge. And of course, the addition of kale brings in even more texture and wholesomeness. A great way to eat more vegetables if you ask me!
Ingredients you’ll need
- Olive oil for cooking the vegetables.
- Garlic paste. You can also use fresh minced garlic.
- Vegetables: red onion, carrots, zucchini, yellow bell pepper, and sweetcorn. You can also add other vegetables of your choice.
- Soaked cashews for making the cashew cream.
- Plant based milk for the cashew cream. Use any variety of your choice.
- Apple cider vinegar. You can also use lemon juice.
- Vegetable stock.
- Dried oregano and dried thyme.
- Gnocchi. Ensure vegan – a lot of brands contain eggs by default. You can also use plain homemade gnocchi or sweet potato gnocchi.
- Cornstarch. This is optional, but helps to make the soup even thicker. You can also use tapioca or all-purpose flour.
- Vegan cheese. Once again, this is optional but very much recommended! Choose a variety that melts well.
How to make vegan gnocchi soup
Start by heating the olive oil in a large pan for 30 seconds over a medium-high heat. Now add the red pepper, carrots and garlic paste, and cook for 5 minutes, until the vegetables are softened and fragrant.
Next, add the zucchini, yellow bell pepper and sweetcorn. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes more, until softened.
Meanwhile, make the cashew cream. Add the cashews, plant based milk, and apple cider vinegar to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
Add vegetable stock, the cashew cream, dried oregano, thyme and gnocchi to the pan. Stir together, bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes, until the gnocchi softens fully.
Stir in the kale, cornstarch and vegan cheese. Continue stirring until the vegan cheese melts and the kale wilts.
Instructions for storage and freezing
You can keep this vegan gnocchi soup in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container. You can also freeze it for up to 2 months. In order to reheat, allow to thaw fully in the fridge, then reheat on the stove or in the microwave until fully heated through.
Tips for the best vegan gnocchi soup
- Make the to use plenty of vegetables, as these will add lots of texture and flavor.
- Make sure to soak the cashews for at least 1 hour before using them in the cream, as this will allow for the smoothest texture. You can also simmer them in a saucepan for 15 minutes instead.
- Stir the soup frequently while cooking because otherwise it may separate.
- I would not recommend skipping vegan cheese, as when it melts it 100% helps to make the soup more indulgent and delicious. You can also use nutritional yeast.
- For extra protein, add chickpeas, lentils, crumbled tofu, or homemade vegan chicken.
Other amazing vegan comfort food you might love!
- If you love creamy pasta, try vegan pasta with broccoli!
- Vegan white bean chili is the perfect comfort food for cold weather.
- My vegan ‘honey’ BBQ tofu recipe is super easy to make & delicious.
- Try roasted red pepper pasta for a simple and cosy meal!
If you give this vegan gnocchi soup with kale a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating!
Get the Recipe: Vegan Gnocchi Soup With Kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup sweetcorn
- 1 cup cashews, soaked
- 1 cup plant based milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 lb gnocchi
- 3 cups kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese
- Blender or food processor
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan for 30 seconds over a medium-high heat. Now add the red onion, carrots and garlic paste, and cook for 5 minutes, until the vegetables are softened and fragrant.
- Add the zucchini, yellow bell pepper and sweetcorn. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes more, until softened.
- Make the cashew cream. Add the cashews, plant based milk, and apple cider vinegar to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add vegetable stock, the cashew cream, dried oregano, thyme and gnocchi to the pan. Stir together, bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes, until the gnocchi softens fully.
- Stir in the kale, cornstarch and vegan cheese. Continue stirring until the vegan cheese melts and the kale wilts.
- To soften the cashews, either soak them for at least an hour, or simmer for 15 minutes in a saucepan.
- You can keep this vegan gnocchi soup in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container. You can also freeze it for up to 2 months. In order to reheat, allow to thaw fully in the fridge, then reheat on the stove or in the microwave until fully heated through.