This vegan coconut pasta with broccoli and mushrooms is an easy meal that’s ready in around 15 minutes! Gluten-free, creamy, super cosy, and packed full of incredible flavours.
My love for all things pasta is neverending. No matter how often I eat it, I just never seem to get bored. And there’s no reason for that to happen – after all, there are countless different ways to switch up a pasta dinner. Thousands of different sauces, different vegetables, different garnishes, etc. But this one is an all-time favourite that I just keep going back to!
If you’re like me and love eating pasta multiple times a week, I couldn’t recommend this recipe more. Try it – you won’t regret it.
Creamy vegan coconut pasta
If you love pasta and love coconut flavours, this one’s for you. Although, the coconut flavour isn’t super overwhelming. The other ingredients balance it very nicely, leaving a subtle and distinctive hint that will keep you going back for seconds.
The sauce is rich, thick and creamy. To thicken it, I used cornstarch, which is a great way to thicken sauces in the most effortless way. Plus, everything is ready in under 15 minutes. The sauce is made while the pasta is cooking, and at the end all that’s required is mixing them together. And that’s it! Dinner is ready, and it’s a dinner that you will want to make over and over again.
I also added mushrooms and broccoli for extra texture and because my favourite way to eat broccoli is to pair it with pasta. Apart from that, the ingredient list is super short, showing just how much deliciousness you can create without any unnecessary complexity.
Ingredients you will need
- Gluten-free pasta of your choice. I usually use gluten-free spaghetti, but anything works.
- Onion. Either red or white onions work well.
- Chestnut mushrooms. Or, use any other mushroom variety of your choice.
- Broccoli florets.
- Coconut milk. Use the full-fat variety from a can. You can use reduced fat coconut milk if you want to, but the final result won’t be as rich/creamy.
- Peanut butter. This may seem strange, but it does add a great hint of nuttiness. Tahini works as well.
- Salt. You can adjust how much you use depending on your preference.
- Cumin. Cumin is a great versatile spice that works in so many savoury dishes.
- Unsweetened plant based milk of your choice.
- Lemon juice. Use freshly squeezed if possible.
- Cornstarch. Arrowroot and tapioca work as well for thickening the sauce.
How to make coconut pasta
Start by cooking the pasta according to packaging instructions. This usually takes 10-12 minutes.
Meanwhile, add the onion and mushrooms to a pan and cook them for 3-4 minutes, until softened. You can use olive oil for cooking the vegetables, or around 3 tbsp if you want to keep it oil-free.
Next, add the broccoli florets. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until they are bright green.
Add the coconut milk together with the peanut butter, salt, cumin, and plant based milk. Stir everything together and bring to a light simmer over a low-medium heat. Cook for around 3 minutes.
When the pasta is ready, drain it until the water runs clear and transfer to the pan with the sauce. Toss to combine, then squeeze in the lemon juice and add the cornstarch and toss one more, allowing the sauce to thicken.
Serve with garnishes of your choice.
What else can I add to this pasta?
You can add any other veggies of your choice. Zucchini and peppers work really well, as do spinach, kale, snow peas and aubergine. Sometimes I love adding a few tbsp sweet corn right at the end for extra sweetness and crunch.
You can also add beans and pulses of your choice, such as chickpeas or lentils. I also love adding fried tofu whenever I have some sitting around in the fridge.
You can store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. I would not, however, recommend freezing this recipe as the sauce won’t have the same creamy consistency when thawed.
Other delicious vegan pasta recipes
- Creamy pasta salad
- Spicy mushroom pasta
- One pot lemon pasta
- Tahini garlic pasta
- Smoky tofu eggplant pasta
Let me know in the comments – what’s your favourite pasta sauce? If you give this vegan coconut pasta recipe a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating.
Vegan Coconut Pasta (Gluten-free)
- Non-stick saucepan
- Non-stick frying pan
- 8 oz gluten-free spaghetti
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms chopped
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 lemon juice of
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Cook the pasta according to packaging instructions. This usually takes 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the onion and mushrooms to a pan and cook them for 3-4 minutes, until softened. You can use olive oil for cooking the vegetables, or around 3 tbsp if you want to keep it oil-free.
- Add the broccoli florets. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until they are bright green.
- Add the coconut milk together with the peanut butter, salt, cumin, and plant based milk. Stir everything together and bring to a light simmer over a low-medium heat. Cook for around 3 minutes.
- When the pasta is ready, drain it until the water runs clear and transfer to the pan with the sauce. Toss to combine, then squeeze in the lemon juice and add the cornstarch and toss one more, allowing the sauce to thicken.