Vegan Avocado Pasta
This vegan avocado pasta is fresh, easy to make and bursting with flavour. The creamy avocado sauce is entirely dairy-free, and the recipe comes together in under 15 minutes. Easy to make gluten-free.
Today’s post features two of my favourite things: pasta and avocado! They’re even more delicious put together in a dish that’s pretty much weeknight dinner/quick lunch goals. And you won’t believe how quick and easy it is to make from start to finish!
Give this avocado pasta a go if you’re looking for a new pasta sauce to try out. I can almost guarantee that you will end up going back for seconds (and making it again the next day)!
What’s to love about this vegan avocado pasta
I don’t even know where to begin. The last time I made this, it disappeared within five minutes. Okay, even less than five minutes. And while filming the recipe, I could hardly hold myself back from eating everything along the way!
That sounds pretty dramatic, but shows just how yummy this dish is. Creamy, ripe avocados form a delicious base, and then you only need a handful of simple ingredients. The addition of vegan cream cheese here really brings all the flavours together and adds to the smooth texture.
It’s as simple as blending the sauce, then adding it to pasta of your choice. 15 minutes, and you’ll have dinner on the table! I also love making this for a flavourful lunch in the middle of a busy day. The thought of making avocado pasta definitely gives me something to look forward to while snowed under with essays!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Pasta of your choice. I love using fettuccine or spaghetti, but any type of pasta will work. Use gluten-free pasta to easily make this dish gluten-free.
- Ripe avocados. As with any avocado recipe, ripeness is key for the best flavour and texture. This will depend on the season and the supermarket, but if your avocados are too hard, I would recommend leaving them to ripen on the counter for a couple of days.
- Fresh cilantro. You can also use other fresh herbs of your choice, such as dill or parsley. This is essential for adding that wonderful undertone of freshness to the sauce!
- Shallots. These contrast nicely with the milder flavour of the avocado.
- Garlic. Garlic can really take a pasta sauce to the next level!
- Maple syrup. This adds a hint of sweetness without being too overpowering.
- Vegan cream cheese. Use any brand of your choice. But as I mentioned, this really adds to the flavour and also helps create a creamier texture.
- Salt. You can adjust the amount you use depending on your personal preferences.
- Cumin. This versatile spice helps to add a great savoury undertone to the sauce.
- Lemon juice. You just can’t go wrong with a hint of tanginess!
How to make avocado pasta
It’s super easy! You want to start by cooking the pasta you’re using until al dente. Drain when done, but don’t rinse.
Make the sauce by adding the avocado, cilantro, shallots, garlic, maple syrup, vegan cream cheese, salt, cumin and lemon juice to a blender or food processor. Blend until very smooth.
In a bowl or pan, add the sauce to the pasta and mix together well. Serve the avocado pasta immediately, or leave to chill in the fridge for around 20 minutes to serve cold.
Frequently asked questions
As avocados tend to oxidise pretty quickly, this dish is best eaten straight away. However, you can keep it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a day.
This recipe is easily made gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta.
You can add vegetables of your choice to make a pasta salad. For instance, tomatoes, cucumbers, and leafy greens work really well. You can also add beans/tofu for extra texture and some plant based protein.
Other delicious vegan pasta recipes
- My vegan butternut squash pasta is a flavourful dinner option that’s made with wholesome ingredients.
- Try my vegan cauliflower Alfredo for a fun way to eat more vegetables!
- If you’re looking for a cosy soup to enjoy on a cold evening, vegan minestrone soup may be a great option for you!
- Try one pot vegan lemon pasta for another meal that’s tangy, fresh and super quick to make.
- If you like simple ingredients and plenty of flavour, try out coconut pasta with broccoli!
Let me know in the comments: what’s your go-to pasta sauce? If you give this vegan avocado pasta a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating!
Get the Recipe: Vegan Avocado Pasta
- 10 oz pasta, of your choice (gluten-free if necessary)
- 3 large avocados
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain when done, but don't rinse.
- Make the sauce by adding the avocado, cilantro, shallots, garlic, maple syrup, vegan cream cheese, salt, cumin and lemon juice to a blender or food processor. Blend until very smooth.
- In a bowl or pan, add the sauce to the pasta and mix together well. Serve the avocado pasta immediately, or leave to chill in the fridge for around 20 minutes to serve cold.