Salted Caramel Brownies
Indulgent vegan brownies drizzled in a rich salted caramel sauce! These fudgy brownies are perfectly chocolatey with just the right amount of sweetness, easy to make, and a perfect dairy-free treat to bring along to special occasions. Oil-free and gluten-free.
It’s not too long ago that I shared my first brownie recipe on this blog, but brownies is the sort of food you can’t have too much of. The first recipe I shared featured sweet potato, which makes a surprisingly great ingredient for baking.
These brownies, however, are more of the traditional indulgent type, so there’s definitely a lot of variety between them. And I can definitely say that testing brownie recipes is one of my favourite activities. After all, it means brownies for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
If you’re planning your next weekend baking adventures that are not going to require a lot of effort or hours in the kitchen, these vegan salted caramel brownies may be the perfect recipe for you! And of course, there are just as good on weekdays too. After all, chocolate is always a brilliant idea.
Salted caramel vegan brownies
Salted caramel and brownies are a match made in heaven. Between my mum and I, the whole batch of these disappeared within a day the first time we made them.
I’ll try my best to do these brownies justice by describing them. Imagine rich, chocolatey goodness that melts in your mouth, interrupted by smooth chunks of dark chocolate and all brought together in that perfect fudgy texture we all love in brownies.
They are definitely good enough by themselves. But what takes this dessert to the next level is the indulgent, yet not overpoweringly sweet caramel sauce characterised by a luxurious undertone of sea salt.
What’s great about these brownies is that they are delicious eaten either straight away or after they cooled down. Fortunately the cooling process doesn’t make them go hard and inedible (which is always a disappointment in brownies).
Salted caramel sauce
This salted caramel sauce is made using only three ingredients: maple syrup, milk and sea salt. For best results, I would recommend making it just as you are about to serve the brownies because it does form up quite quickly. It has just the right amount of sweetness, and is great for serving with any dessert of your choice.
Reasons to love these vegan salted caramel brownies
- Perfectly chocolatey.
- Incredibly fudgy and moist.
- Rich and decadent.
- Easy to make.
- Great for sharing.
- Ideal as a snack or as a dessert.
How to make these vegan brownies
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 F.
Add the flour, coconut sugar, salt, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda and dark chocolate and almond milk to a large mixing bowl. Whisk together until thoroughly combined.
Pour into a non-stick brownie tin and bake in the oven for around 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean but they are not overcooked.
Around 10 minutes before the brownies are done, make the salted caramel sauce. Add the coconut milk, maple syrup and sea salt to a non-stick frying pan and simmer, stirring frequently, on a low heat for around 10 minutes.
Serve the brownies immediately with the salted caramel sauce.
What substitutions can I make?
- You can use gluten-free oat flour instead of all-purpose gluten-free flour.
- You can use any type of vegan chocolate instead of dark chocolate.
- Instead of the salted caramel sauce, you can serve these brownies with other toppings of your choice, such as berries and/or dairy-free whipped cream.
- You can add nuts or dried fruit of your choice into the batter – I personally like adding walnuts to brownies.
Other vegan dessert recipes
- Carrot cake
- Banana oatmeal cookies
- Four-ingredient fudge
- Chocolate avocado mousse tart
- Chocolate cake
Let me know in the comments – what’s your favourite dessert? If you give these salted caramel vegan brownies a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations and leave your feedback in the comments below!
Get the Recipe: Salted Caramel Vegan Brownies (Gluten-free)
For the brownies
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate , chopped
- 1 cup almond milk
For the salted caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, full-fat
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 F.
- Add the flour, coconut sugar, salt, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda and dark chocolate and almond milk to a large mixing bowl. Whisk together until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into a non-stick brownie tin and bake in the oven for around 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean but they are not overcooked.
- Around 10 minutes before the brownies are done, make the salted caramel sauce. Add the coconut milk, maple syrup and sea salt to a non-stick frying pan and simmer, stirring frequently, on a low heat for around 10 minutes.
- Serve the brownies immediately with the salted caramel sauce.