This gluten-free vegan pecan bread with cinnamon is subtly sweet, perfectly spiced, and with an ideal spongy texture. Serve it as a snack or dessert with a nut butter of your choice and a cup of tea! It’s also incredibly easy to make in just a few steps.
It’s almost the holiday season, which means I’m baking even more than usual. As in, sometimes twice a day. It’s just the perfect cosy activity and really helps me feel better when it’s dark and gloomy outside. While I don’t love British weather like, at all, I can never say no to whipping something up that makes the kitchen smell amazing.
Today I have a recipe that I can’t stop making because it just reminds me of the positive aspects of this season. And that’s a yummy dairy-free pecan bread!
About this gluten-free vegan pecan bread
Who doesn’t love bread?! I definitely do, both in its sweet and savoury varieties. I firstly made this bread as a random experiment in the kitchen when I was looking for a new snack idea, and fell in love with the result. Hence, here I am sharing it with you.
This bread is perfectly spiced with cinnamon, which we all know can give your kitchen the most amazing aroma. The addition of pecans also gives it a seasonal hint and a great crunch. Despite the fact that this pecan bread is entirely gluten-free, it nonetheless has a fluffy, spongy texture.
I love eating this vegan pecan bread either on its own, or with a spread such as peanut butter, vegan yoghurt, or a drizzle of maple syrup. It’s great as a dessert or snack, but also ideal for breakfast with a cup of coffee!
Ingredients and substitutions
The ingredients you need to make this vegan pecan bread are:
- Chickpea flour. This is great for adding lightness and fluffiness – don’t worry, the bread won’t taste like chickpeas!
- Buckwheat flour. This will add a rustic, nutty flavour.
- Rice flour.
- Baking powder.
- Baking soda.
- Coconut sugar. I would not recommend using a liquid sweetener as this will make the texture too dense.
- Plant based milk. Use any variety from a carton. I usually use oat milk or soy milk.
- Melted vegan butter, preferably an unsalted variety.
- Flax eggs. A flax egg is made by combining ground flaxseed with twice the amount of water and setting aside for 5-10 minutes to soak.
- Apple cider vinegar.
- Pecan nuts. You can also add any other nuts of your choice.
How to make vegan pecan bread
Firstly, preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 F) and lightly grease a 2lb loaf pan.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the chickpea flour, buckwheat flour, rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, coconut sugar, nutmeg and salt.
In a separate bowl, combine the plant based milk, vegan butter, flax eggs and apple cider vinegar.
Next, add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix thoroughly before stirring in the pecan nuts.
Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for around 25 minutes, until crispy and golden brown, and a toothpick comes out clean.
Storing and freezing
You can keep this vegan pecan bread in the fridge, covered or in an airtight container, for up to 5 days. It is also freezer-friendly. Freeze it as slices in freezer-friendly bags, and thaw in the toaster.
Other delicious vegan bread recipes
Let me know in the comments: what’s your favourite quick and easy snack? If you give this vegan pecan bread a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating.
Gluten-free Vegan Pecan Bread
- Conventional oven
- Loaf pan
- Mixing bowls x 2
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup plant based milk
- 3 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 2 flax eggs (see recipe notes)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup pecan nuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 F) and lightly grease a 2lb loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chickpea flour, buckwheat flour, rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, coconut sugar, nutmeg and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the plant based milk, vegan butter, flax eggs and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix thoroughly before stirring in the pecan nuts.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for around 25 minutes, until crispy and golden brown, and a toothpick comes out clean.