Gluten-free Vegan Apple Crumble
This gluten-free vegan apple crumble is the perfect warming dessert and surprisingly easy to make! The caramelised apples, crunchy oat topping and secret spoon of peanut butter make this a delicious treat for the cold nights ahead, especially with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream.
Now the days are getting shorter and darker, I’ve been craving an autumnal dessert which will warm up those cosy evenings. And what’s more autumnal than the smell of sweet, gooey apples filling up your kitchen?
Sometimes I find it harder to motivate myself to cook during the darker nights, but that’s why this gluten-free vegan apple crumble has become my firm favourite recently. It’s so easy to make – no seriously. This recipe needs less than 10 ingredients and minimal equipment for maximum flavour.
About this gluten-free vegan apple crumble
This gluten-free vegan apple crumble is a modern twist on a classic British dish. The drizzle of maple syrup contrasts the sharp cooking apples, creating a rich melt in the mouth fruity filling. The softness of the base perfectly balances the crisp and buttery oat topping, and I love the subtle sweetness of the coconut sugar.
My secret ingredient, the peanut butter, adds a rich and nutty taste to the crumble, which makes it stand out from other recipes. You could also add spices like cinnamon or ginger, but I prefer to let the natural flavour of the apples shine.
This dessert would be the perfect accompaniment to a Sunday roast, or a decadent treat after a long walk. I love to serve mine with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream for extra indulgence, but it also works well with warm vegan custard.
Ingredients and substitutions
The ingredients you need for this gluten-free vegan apple crumble are:
- Cooking apples. You can experiment with different varieties, but Granny Smith apples are a great place to start as they hold their shape while baking.
- Maple syrup.
- Coconut sugar. Coconut sugar contains minerals like iron and zinc, so I prefer using it to regular sugar.
- All-purpose gluten-free flour.
- Rice flour.
- Gluten-free oats.
- Peanut butter. I use smooth.
- Vegan butter. If you don’t have vegan butter, margarine works too!
How to make this gluten-free vegan apple crumble
Firstly, preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 F) and lightly grease a rectangular baking dish.
Next, peel and slice the apples into chunky segments. Layer these slices in the baking dish, then drizzle evenly with the maple syrup.
Then, in a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut sugar, gluten-free flour, rice flour, oats, peanut butter and vegan butter, until a crumbly texture forms.
Layer the crumb on top of the apples. I like a thick layer of topping over my fruit, but you can build it up to your preferred thickness. Then bake it in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until crispy and golden brown on top.
This dessert is best when served immediately with dairy-free ice cream. I’d recommend a simple flavour like vanilla, otherwise you could overpower the delicious, caramelised flavour of the apples. The warmth of the pudding and chill of the ice cream is a match made in heaven!
Tips and tricks
- You can prepare the oat topping a few days before you want to construct your crumble, as long as you refrigerate it in an airtight container. However, I recommend preparing your apples as close to baking as possible, to prevent them from browning.
- If you work your crumble topping with your hands, or spend too long combining the ingredients, you can melt the butter which may result in the mixture sticking together too much. Try to combine your ingredients quickly, to ensure you get small, even crumbs.
- If you don’t want to make one giant vegan apple crumble, you could try baking it in individual ramekins.
Storing and freezing
This gluten-free vegan apple crumble lasts up to 3 days in the fridge or up to 1 month in the freezer. To reheat I like to cover it in foil and put it in the oven for 15 mins at 180 degrees C – just make sure you defrost before reheating.
Other delicious vegan desserts
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie (Gluten-free)
- Gluten-free Vegan Apple Cake
- Peanut Butter Cake
- Gluten-free Vegan Pecan Bread
I’d love to know, what’s your favourite autumnal dessert? If you do bake this gluten-free vegan apple crumble, then remember to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see what you’ve created and leave your feedback below with a star rating.
Get the Recipe: Gluten-free Vegan Apple Crumble
- 1 ½ lbs cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cup gluten-free flour
- ¾ cup rice flour
- ½ cup gluten-free oats
- ¼ cup peanut butter, smooth
- 6 tbsp vegan butter
- Conventional oven
- Rectangular baking dish
- Large mixing bowl
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 F) and lightly grease a rectangular baking dish.
- Layer the apple slices in the baking dish, then drizzle evenly with the maple syrup.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, rice flour, oats, peanut butter and vegan butter, until a crumbly texture forms.
- Layer the crumb on top of the apples and bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until crispy and golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately with dairy-free ice cream.