Garlic Oven-roasted Eggplant (Vegan)
This garlic oven-roasted eggplant makes an amazing plant based dinner or side dish! It’s flavorful, tender and easy to make with just a handful of simple ingredients. Serve over rice for comfort food perfection.
There are many different ways to make vegetables taste amazing. You can, for instance, turn zucchini into fries, or make cauliflower Alfredo. If you think that veggies don’t taste good you’re probably just cooking them wrong! But if you want to keep it simple, you can roast them with a delicious sauce or glaze. This oven-roasted eggplant with garlic is a perfect example.
This oven-roasted eggplant with a spicy garlic sauce is simple, but exceptionally delicious. You need just a few ingredients, most of which you probably have in your cupboard already. The eggplant is tender and delicious, as well as crispy on the outside. The garlicky, spicy flavor of the sauce will have this recipe make a frequent appearance on your menu for sure.
So, if you love turning vegetables into comfort food, I suggest you give this oven roasted eggplant recipe a go ASAP. It’s very easy to make if you’re new to plant based cooking, but will also impress the more seasoned cook.
How to make oven-roasted eggplant with garlic
Start by preparing the eggplant. Remove the top, then slice it in half, and make diagonal scores going in opposite directions across the cross-section. At the same time, preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/400 F.
Melt some vegan butter in a large frying pan or skillet over a medium-high heat. Place the eggplants flat-side down in the skillet, and cook for 5 minutes, until starting to brown.
Meanwhile, make the glaze by stirring together soy sauce, olive oil rice vinegar, sriracha, and garlic.
Arrange the eggplants on a large baking tray lined with parchment paper, and brush them with the glaze generously. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, until fully cooked through.
Serve immediately with chilli flakes, cilantro and chopped peanuts.
Recipe tips and substitutions
- This oven-roasted eggplant is best eaten immediately – I would not recommend leaving it in the fridge for more than a few days.
- Adjust the amount of sriracha you use depending on personal preference regarding spice levels.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, use tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
- The glaze also works well for other vegetables, such as zucchini or butternut squash.
How to serve garlic eggplant
You can serve oven-roasted eggplant either as a main course or a side dish. I like to serve it over a bed of rice, with a milder sauce to balance out the spiciness of the sriracha. For instance, homemade vegan sour cream works really well. As a side dish, it goes really well with crispy tofu, or a pasta dish like vegan carbonara.
Other easy veggie recipes
- You can’t go wrong with spicy cauliflower!
- Garlic butter corn ribs are crispy and delicious.
- My broccoli wings with cheesy sauce are crispy and delish.
- Eggplant ‘caviar’ is a must-try.
- Try cauliflower ‘steaks’ for a comforting dinner.
If you give this garlic oven-roasted eggplant a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating!
Get the Recipe: Garlic Oven-Roasted Eggplant (Vegan)
- 2 eggplants
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Conventional oven
- Mixing bowl
- Baking tray
- Prepare the eggplant: remove the top, then slice it in half, and make diagonal scores going in opposite directions across the cross-section.2 eggplants
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/400 F.
- Melt some vegan butter in a large frying pan or skillet over a medium-high heat. Place the eggplants flat-side down in the skillet, and cook for 5 minutes, until starting to brown.3 tbsp vegan butter
- Make the glaze by stirring together soy sauce, olive oil rice vinegar, sriracha, and garlic.1/4 cup soy sauce, 3 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp rice vinegar, 2 tbsp sriracha, 4 cloves garlic
- Arrange the eggplants on a large baking tray lined with parchment paper, and brush them with the glaze generously. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, until fully cooked through.
- Serve immediately with chilli flakes, cilantro and chopped peanuts.