Easy Vegan Pad Thai
This easy vegan Pad Thai is perfect for a dinner that’s packed with vegetables such as peas and carrots. Made with a flavourful sauce and topped with crunchy peanuts, it also comes together in under 15 minutes. Gluten-free and oil-free.
I can definitely say that Pad Thai is up there among my favourite warm weather recipes. I think it strikes a perfect balance between bright colours and summer freshness with a substantial hint of comfort from the noodles and flavourful sauce. Plus, it’s super easy to make vegan and gluten-free.
It definitely makes me excited for all of the yummy dishes I’ll be making over the summer. Thankfully, my appetite doesn’t change at all in accordance with the weather!
(Music from video: https://epidemicsound.com)
If you’re looking for a colourful vegan Pad Thai recipe that you can prepare in just about 10-15 minutes, there’s a very good chance that this is the one for you!
Vegan Pad Thai
Traditionally Pad Thai is made with eggs and other animal products such as fish sauce, but it is also easy to veganise. If you are hosting any summer parties or get togethers, you can serve this as a dish that anyone would enjoy. You could even serve it as an appetiser, or with a toppings ‘salad bar’! I personally love to prepare it for a quick dinner.
We’re starting with a base of fresh vegetables that release their flavours during the cooking process. Of course, the main element are the noodles, which make this dish incredibly comforting. They are covered in the tangy sauce which also carries a perfect balance of sweetness and saltiness.
The toppings you add can really make or break the finished product. Peanuts are an essential. I like to be generous with this, because nothing beats added crunch in a noodle-based dish. And to achieve such an amazing result, you definitely don’t have to stand in the kitchen for hours! This vegan Pad Thai comes together in under 15 minutes.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS VEGAN RECIPES THAT ARE READY IN 30 MINUTES OR LESS? CHECK OUT MY EASY VEGAN UNDER 30 MINUTES RECIPE EBOOK!
Gluten-free Pad Thai
The great thing about Pad Thai is that it’s naturally a gluten-free recipe. All you have to do is use a gluten-free noodle variety. My favourite type of noodles are rice noodles, because not only do they not contain any gluten in most cases (do crefully check packaging, though), but also taste delicious with Asian-inspired sauces.
Reasons to love this vegan Pad Thai
- Incredibly flavourful.
- Tangy and fresh. Eat it hot or cold!
- Ready in under 15 minutes.
- Perfect for any season!
How to make this Pad Thai
Cook the noodles according to packaging instructions – they usually require around 5 minutes of soaking in warm water. However, ensure that they are al dente.
Meanwhile, add the ginger, garlic, carrot ribbons and bell pepper to a non-stick frying pan and sauté for around 4-5 minutes, until fragrant and softened.
Prepare the sauce by stirring together the tamari, rice vinegar, maple syrup, lime juice and water. Add around 1/2 of the sauce to the frying pan and stir for around 1-2 minutes, giving it a chance to warm up and bubble.
Add the noodles to the frying pan together with the rest of the sauce. Stir until well-combined and the noodles are evenly coated.
Transfer to serving bowls and serve immediately with the red chilli, peanuts, coriander, black pepper and green peas.
Notes and substitutions
- Use soy sauce instead of the tamari if not avoiding gluten, and coconut aminos for a soy-free version.
- Feel free to add tofu or beans for some plant based protein.
- The vegetables I used are just a suggestion! Feel free to add anything you have in the fridge.
- Leave this Pad Thai in the fridge for around 30 minutes for a colder, salad-y vibe.
- You can store this for up to 3 days in an airtight container, but I do think it tastes best consumed immediately.
Other quick vegan recipes you might like
Let me know in the comments – what’s your favourite food to eat in the summer? If you give this vegan Pad Thai recipe a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below!
Get the Recipe: Easy Vegan Pad Thai (Gluten-free)
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, ribboned
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 4 oz rice noodles
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cornflour, (cornstarch)
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup green peas, optional
- Cook the noodles according to packaging instructions - they usually require around 5 minutes of soaking in warm water. However, ensure that they are al dente.
- Meanwhile, add the ginger, garlic, carrot ribbons and bell pepper to a non-stick frying pan and sauté for around 4-5 minutes, until fragrant and softened.
- Prepare the sauce by stirring together the tamari, rice vinegar, maple syrup, lime juice and water. Add around 1/2 of the sauce to the frying pan and stir for around 1-2 minutes.
- Add the noodles to the frying pan together with the rest of the sauce. Stir until well-combined and the noodles are evenly coated.
- Serve immediately with the red chilli, peanuts, coriander, black pepper and green peas.